I think I've got diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've also got 4 hermit crabs, 6 nassarius snails, and one algae blenny. Will these guys be able to take care of the spots on the glass and the brown discoloration on my live rock? Or should I bring out the big guns? And in any case, what would the big guns be?

The water is clear. Just have a few brown spots on the glass. Most of the build up is on the live rock. Grrr.....

TIA.

I am guess the tank is new? If so it should burn itself out. If anything some WC's with RO/DI water will help. Otherwise give it some time and let the clean up crew have some fun. Where in NC are you located?

Thanks. I've just never had diatoms before in the almost two years I've had freshwater, and pleco's usually took care of things.

I'm actually from durham, but I'm currently in Rhode Island. First SW tank. He he.

Diatoms are a normal stage of SW cycle. Nothing to worry about. Sorry about you having to move from NC. :lol:

It's alright. I go where the job takes me. It's not too shabby up here, but can't wait to move back down south in a few years. Ack.

The best thing for keeping my glass clean (apart from a Mag float with a ReefGadget attachment) is a big pile of turbo snails. I like to keep 100 or so of them in my 120.

Thanks guys. The blenny has been smooching glass all day apparently. Got home from work and all the diatoms on the front glass is nearly gone. I'll probably have to scrape the excess off, but he sure was a big help.

Aqazen

Just be sure the blenny has plenty to eat once the algea is gone. I have had 2 and both die on me for lack of food and some wont eat when you feed the tank. Even tried straping a peice of seaweed to a rock and still wouldnt eat it. I no longer have blennies for this reason. Just a courtesy warning as a fellow SW guy!

Back
Top Bottom