I think my colt is dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been battling water problems for 2 weeks now. It seems that after the emergency tank change I had a spike in my ammonia and nitrites. Either way, I manage to get the water levels down a lot. My parameters right now are Nitrates = 0, Nitrites = 0.3, Ammonia = .25. my PH=7.9. I have been changing water for quite sometime and i just turned my skimmer back on. I have a purigen pouch in my sump and need to clean out my sump. The Colt looks all droopy and purplish. Any ideas why? It was doing fine when the water spikes occured and since putting the canopy on the tank it started acting up. BTW temp is @ 81.0

artoledo said:
...The Colt looks all droopy and purplish. Any ideas why? It was doing fine when the water spikes occured and since putting the canopy on the tank it started acting up. BTW temp is @ 81.0

My guess is that it's finally tired of putting up with nitrites of 0.3ppm and ammonia of 0.25ppm and is letting you know. Probably has nothing to do with the canopy - just a delayed reaction, especially since it sounds like your parameters were higher at one time.

I agree that the nitrites and ammonia are a big part or the problem. I would consider some frequent PWC`s (every other day) to get it back to zero. You might want to think about getting a filter so you can run some GAC or purigen through it. It really does not help to just drop a pouch in the sump. Water needs to be running through it. JMO

It died. :( I got home and it looked like seaweed. Went to my LFS and bought a Phosban Reactor, placed Purigen and Phosban in there and let er rip.

Ok. So i checked up on the Phosban Reactor today and wanted to know if there was anything special supposed to be happening inside of it? All i see is the bags of goodies i put in and it looks still. Water is being pushed through because i see it coming out of the hose. but is there anything special i should be looking for?

Back
Top Bottom