Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think my LFS is screwy

Ok, so I moved my 2 damsels from my 29 gal upstairs to the new 30 gallon hex in my kids play room to start the cycle. So I had to restock my one 29 gal.

We went to the LFS. We love puffers and were looking at those, but they were a little too expensive, and they've raised their prices on clowns. They had a good sized Arc Eye Hawkfish for $25 so we picked him up. So we wanted a couple of the cheaper puffers.

But they sold us what seem to be Green Spotted Puffers, which not until we got them home and in the tank did we find out they are brackish fish, not full SW. The guy, who has been very good in the past, didn't seem to think anything of it when he sold them to us knowing it is a SW tank.

The fish seem to be doing very well. They are very playful already. Very friendly and appear to be in good health. They are eating well too (they loved the frozen snow crab chunk I dropped in for them, they went right for it). In fact, they "fought" with the Hawk over it (wasn't much of a fight, the Hawk woosed out).

Am I missing something here? I'll try to post a pic of them when my wife gets the pics loaded.

For now, they look very much like this:

Nate

Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive heard that they can be fully converted over to sw over a period of time. so maybe the lfs had done that already, anyway for you to know how long they have had them. that would be the easiest way to find out if they converted them.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:07 AM   #3

Well, he told me how to acclimate them and how he does it, and he said it works fine for him. It takes very little time his way.

So I did it how he said...But I'm going to go in and ask tomorrow.

Nate
Old 07-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He sold you a hawkfish and two puffers for a 29 gallon tank? What is this "little time" acclimation process, just out of curiosity?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
I'm interested in hearing about the acclimation process also.

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm always in favor of a slow, drip acclimation, especially if you aren't quarantining. At the end of the acclimation, you can add a few drops of Organi-cure and give a quick dip. Its certainly no guarantee against parasites or diseases, but it's better than not doing anything. Of course a QT is best.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #7

The process was putting the fish in a 5 gal bucket, then start a siphon with a small airator tube from the tank to the bucket. Wait for it to fill, dump most of it out and do it again. It took about 2 hours or so.

The puffers we have grow to 3-4" including the tail when they're fully grown. By that time we'll have a bigger tank (75 gal or bigger). Right now they're about an inch. The hawk is fully grown (a bit bigger than 3").

The puffers are really neat. They help each other out, protect each other, and will come and greet you if you sit in front of the tank. We had the hawk come to our finger today as well.

I know the 5"-6" rule for the 29 gallon tank.

Nate
Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read somewhere that those puffers get real nasty and will kill other fish!! keep a close eye on these guys with your other fish..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #9

That seems to be how most puffers are. If it can fit in their mouth, they will eat it. Luckily, these guys grow to be a bit smaller than my Hawk.

Nate
Old 07-24-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got a figure 8 puffer and a green spot puffer that I got for my son and fully converted them over to SW. I've had them for about a year and are growing by leaps and bounds with no aggressive issues at all. I converted them by raising the SG by .01 a week until I reached 1.023. Only issue is you have to replace the snails fairly frequently after fully converted...lol. They tend to leave hermits alone though and haven't bothered the CC star I have in with them. You have to watch your feeding with these guys....they'll eat and eat until they can barely swim if you let them. Not sure how they would be with another fish in the tank though.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com