I think my star polyps spawned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came in my room one evening to see this stuff all over my star polyps. It looks like a web of mucus with small little dots inside of it. You can see them as the small pink dots in the pictures. They are kinda tiny. However, they are all gone today (saw them 2 days ago).

Was it a spawn? Can you guys confirm my suspicions, please. :)

Attachments

• img_1592__medium__148.jpg
    img_1592__medium__148.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 24
  • img_1596__medium__733.jpg
    img_1596__medium__733.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 29
  • img_1599__medium__132.jpg
    img_1599__medium__132.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 27
They don't spawn to my knowledge... It is late but I can't see much in the pics :)

Sorry I can't help more

Hmm, thanks ellisz. It's gotta be something. I was kinda hoping for a spawn (even though I know none of them would ever make it). I tried to edit the pictures and circle the "things".

They are simply, small little pink dots inside a web type substance. The poylps also stayed relatively closed for that day. But now they are gone and the polyps look great!

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• img_1596__medium__170.jpg
    img_1596__medium__170.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
  • img_1596__medium__204.jpg
    img_1596__medium__204.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 18
  • img_1599__medium__191.jpg
    img_1599__medium__191.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 15
Look something like this?:
:wink:
img_761750_0_3adfc1c63195b938ecf7346a3360d38e.jpg

img_761750_1_bdabfddf0f5dfa583c1a1cbec970ffc4.jpg

img_761750_2_52581981cca7f1d1abcfae6024f4ba15.jpg

Photos courtesy of Reefkeeping.com
Original article: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/eb/index.php

According to the notes, that coral lived in captivity for 3 years before spawning, and then spawned each year for the next 3 years until it was moved to a new tank, and stopped spawning.

So it looks like congratulations are in order!!!

:smilecolros::smilecolros::smilecolros:

Lol, sweet! Thanks loyalrouge! Im'ma be a star polyp mama. :D

It wasn't that numerous, the spawn. And I only had them for about...2 or 3 weeks. I must be doing something right! But it was still really cool and looked just like that. Awwwwesome.

Hmm, never seen that and I have had star polyps for a few years. I would not want them to spawn though, as they grow plenty fast on their own ;)

It appears that Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia violacea) spread both locally by encrusting the surface area around the colony, and also "long distance" via the currents by spawning egg/sperm sacks.

That's what I love about this hobby, I learn something new every day!

Perhaps next time your GSP spawn you could siphon it out and place it in a holding tank full of LR rubble.
If they survived you could start your own miniature GSP farm. :D

loyalrogue said:
Perhaps next time your GSP spawn you could siphon it out and place it in a holding tank full of LR rubble.
If they survived you could start your own miniature GSP farm. :D

I do love experiments!

Thanks for the help/comments guys!

WOW that is totally awesome. I was so excited about that I couldn't hardly type! Mine have done the same thing I thought something was wrong with them but it was over and gone before I could really make a deal of it. Awesome...I have my GSP in my little 5g Nano so I'll be able to see if that pop up somewhere else pretty easily! AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom