I thought Tangs were supposed to eat veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got a Yellow Tang. He has no interest in the caulerpa that is overgrowing my tank. All he seems interested in is pods. He's just cruising around, picking pods off the rocks.

Tangs are omnivores. He may be grazing on the rocks for algae though. Mine always did. I don't know why he wouldn't take the easy stuff. Could be you just got a picky one. :?

All mine will eat is macroalgeas. Give yours time and he will eat and pick at it. You learn something everyday. I thought tangs were herbivores. Not the last time I`ll be wrong. Good day :wink:

I stand corrected. They are listed as herbavores but they definately aren't strict herbavores. Mine loved meaty foods. (yellow tang) To me, that's an omnivore. :wink:

I knew what you meant. No two tangs are the same. I have three. Yellow, sailfin and yellow eye Kole tang. I love their personalities

I use grape Calerpa that I grow in my refuge. You can get seaweed selects which is dried seaweed that comes in strips. Some of your LFS sell sea kelp that they love to eat. I see you have a refuge, just grow in your sump if you have a light.

This kind...
lillis.jpg

I thought the same thing abotu tangs being herbivores, but my yellow tang loves mysis shrimp. He spends most of his time grazing for algea off the live rock.

my blue tang eats everything, flakes, dried vegies, frozen weeds, algaes and brine/ mysis shrimp will even eat grated prawn, mussels, and fish

Update: My Tang finally decided he likes veggies and has eaten through most of the tank. I can't believe how much he's eaten!

I think its safe to say the basis of their diet is veggies. Mine love the Nori select stuff. Also attacks mysis shrimp, and an ocasional flake snack. I think its safe to say they are very opertunistic in captivity. I also had quite a decent growing of hair type algae which my tangs ate all of.

Back
Top Bottom