Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took the bio balls out of my aquarium what should I put in

I took the bio balls out of my aquarium some time back I was wondering what I should put there instead. Right now I have a sponge with a sponge full of carbon on top of that. What would you put in place of the balls? I have a 24g nano cube. Thanks for the advise.

Rachel

Sorry for posting so many questions.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get some base rock from hirocks.com, it will becoem live rock and add to your filteration.

Quote:
Sorry for posting so many questions.

Never apoligize for asking a question, that's the only way to learn.

Here's some kudos for your collection.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live rock rubble is a great addition to a filter once you ditch the bioballs.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a plan I think I can get some from my LR store. How much do you think I should add?

Thank you for responding I was thinking about LR.

Rachel

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't waste money on liverock, get base rock, no one will see it and it will be live in a very short time.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Replace the rough equivalent of your bioballs.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok my balls were about the size of golf ball so I replace them with rock about that size. If I replace with base rock will it make my tank cycle again? Thanks again.

Rachel

Old 04-30-2005, 12:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mixed sizes would be fine ... like gravel. If you already removed all of the BB, you're likely to cycle anyway, since you removed you biofilter. A good idea is to add some LR along with the BB, then add more each time you remove a fraction of the BB, eventually replacing it all.

Nothing happens fast in a reef.

Livestock I added:

Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I thought they were usless pieces of crap so I removed them. No wonder I had problems after I took them out. Ok so I will add them back and them change them out slowly with rock as you said. Thank you I didn't know I was messing things up.

Rachel

Old 04-30-2005, 12:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you let them dry out or wash them with tap water in the meantime? If so, you might not want to add them back.

How long have they been out?

TO be safe, monitor your ammonia and nitrite and be prepared to do water chages or detoxify with Prime if levels rise.

Livestock I added:

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com