Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79
My LFS won't sell you anything without a sample until they get to know you. Neither will they sell you anything that's unsuitable for the set up you have. No tangs for tiny tanks, no mandarins or starfish for immature tanks, no sps if you have crappy lights, etc etc. The owner says its policy because he cares about the well being of the living thing more than a quick £.

The policy must do them well as they are regarded as one of, if not the top store in the UK, people come from all over the country to visit the place.
Where is this store? I'm in the uk and I'd love to check it out

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I actually think its a great idea to ask for a water sample. I work at a pet shop, and we don't do that. But it would make me feel so much better about selling fish. I get some veeeeery stubborn customers who just don't want to listen to what cycling is, and who don't want to buy the testing kits. Then we get calls about sick/dying fish. makes me sad. I ask quite a few questions to suss out their experience. It's nice to hear when their tank is fully cycled and not overstocked.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I wish my LFS was more like that. When I started out, they did have some good advice and such. But then, after learning even more off of these forums I went back and looked at their tanks...they don't even follow their own advice. Some fish only tanks FULL of aiptasia and the coral tank obviously has to much LR and not enough flow...there is a huge pagoda in there that I have watched begin to get covered with hair algae. Oh yeah, and the coral tank is full of hair algae...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79 View Post
My LFS won't sell you anything without a sample until they get to know you. Neither will they sell you anything that's unsuitable for the set up you have. No tangs for tiny tanks, no mandarins or starfish for immature tanks, no sps if you have crappy lights, etc etc. The owner says its policy because he cares about the well being of the living thing more than a quick £.

The policy must do them well as they are regarded as one of, if not the top store in the UK, people come from all over the country to visit the place.
Whats the name of the shop?

Would like to meet him one day.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel lucky. My LFS is a Petco, of all things, but is probably the best fish store I have ever seen. They will refuse a sale if they don't think your tank is ready (though I'm sure a threat to call corporate could force their hands), and will always offer detailed advice on set up, compatibility, etc.
I actually watched the main fish guy turn away someone who was ready to drop a couple hundred on fish in a single trip, just because the tank was probably not finished cycling. He did tell him that if he brought in a water sample, and the cycle was done, he'd sell him a few to start off.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgy35

Where is this store? I'm in the uk and I'd love to check it out
Wharf aquatics, junction 28, M1

http://www.wharfaquatics.co.uk/marine.htm
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to claidheamdanns
Advice Please on Compatibility with Current Tank Residents

My LFS is having a sale this wknd: 20-60% off, so I'm thinking about adding 1-2 fish to replace the 2 that did not fare well in a 20 mile tank move.
RIP: royal gramma | blue tang | sand sifter | blood red fire shrimp | cleaner shrimp
claidheamdanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I did the same , read several books googled a bunch of stuff and asked people in the hobby before even getting a tank , LFS are hit and miss I find , IMO the more local and small the store the better knowledge on the live stock they sell , and a big chain may have good deals but they are always not that " pet smart " ... Lol

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com