i want a blue ring octopus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This tank will be more scary then it is fun

Why would an lfs sell you a fish like this?? Do you need to sign a contract of some sort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I want a new cat, maybe a pet tiger?

Basically the same thing, octopi (sp?) in general are extremely difficult and expensive to keep. So not only do you want the most difficult type creature, you're picking a very deadly species.

Yea it sounds cool, you can brag to your friends what a bad animal you have, but just because you can buy it doesn't mean you should.

I am in no way an expert at fish keeping but all of my research as led me to find its not worth the risk for a creature with a 6 month life expectancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was offered octopus at a restaurant once. They told me it was spicy. I now know why it was spicy, it was a blue ring octopus.

I totally made this up, anyhow, don't get it. Order national geographic and have it on your tv. Safety first! ;)

Only reason i say dont get one is a.) the OP is not informed on how to keep one and keep it alive. Also the fact that it is deadly makes it not so much a great octo if your just learning about them. Just my opinion. Spells for disaster, someone would die, either you or the octopus.....

+1 to this.

I don't think anyone would encourage some who is interested in keeping snakes to start with a gaboon viper. It's just a recipe for disaster.

Rutrag said:
+1 to this.

I don't think anyone would encourage some who is interested in keeping snakes to start with a gaboon viper. It's just a recipe for disaster.

Funny you should mention this ( gaboon viper ) ,...I'had raised herpes for many years and the one and only snake I ever really wanted was a gaboon viper,....luckily ,..sanity prevailed one day before I pulled the trigger on one,...I'm alive to this day to tell my tale..... Still my favorite snake though, :)

Schism said:
Only reason i say dont get one is a.) the OP is not informed on how to keep one and keep it alive. Also the fact that it is deadly makes it not so much a great octo if your just learning about them. Just my opinion. Spells for disaster, someone would die, either you or the octopus.....

So properly setting up the tank and getting the hang of keeping a less dangerous octopus successfully is the better way to go a out doing this.
When I worked at a saltwater shop we got in a couple of them as special orders. They needed to be kept in framed net cages inside the store tanks both customers damaged them when their tentacles got caught in powerheads even though they were warned to fasten sponges to the intakes. They were both very experienced reef keepers. One did survive for about a year after the guy decided to go all out on preparation (after the injured octo lost a tentacle).

these are some pics of the blue ring octopus that the LFS has it's just amazing !!

Attachments

• image-167589958.jpg
    image-167589958.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2201289310.jpg
    image-2201289310.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2060414955.jpg
    image-2060414955.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 175
  • image-4235505025.jpg
    image-4235505025.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1764775087.jpg
    image-1764775087.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 137
My sister and I used to watch these guys from a distance growing up near Sydney NSW. They'd be in the rock pools and if you were quiet enough for long enough you'd get to see them come out of hiding and explore around the pools. They were fascinating.

At the very least start with something easier, so you don't kill the poor little creature?

I'd suggest starting with an easier octopus first. I don't even have a clue what a simpler one would even be to be honest. The one thing I have learned from this hobby is to work your way up the difficulty level slowly. The blue ring is a really cool octopus, but it has to be expensive. If it was me and I got one I would be really upset if I found it dried up dead on my carpet when I woke up in the morning. If this is what you want your end goal to be, start with an easier and cheaper octo first and see how things go. Once time goes by, maybe it would be a possibility. Just keep researching and working towards your goal. Even if I personally think it is a tad crazy, it is technically doable.

Im curious though, what if someone came to the OP's house and they had no idea how deadly the octo is and they put a hand or something in the tank. What if it killed a child, or escaped the tank and you dog got killed or something. That would be horrible. Not sure what would happen to the owner...(prison, jail? Idk)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im curious though, what if someone came to the OP's house and they had no idea how deadly the octo is and they put a hand or something in the tank. What if it killed a child, or escaped the tank and you dog got killed or something. That would be horrible. Not sure what would happen to the owner...(prison, jail? Idk)

what would happen if a stranger or child jumped my fence and my dog mawled their face off ?

my fence has a sign BEWARE OF DOG
NOTHING happens to the owner!

same goes for the octopus it's not a petting zoo
some people on this forum just need to start using their brains and stop making scenarios up

Squidy07 said:
what would happen if a stranger or child jumped my fence and my dog mawled their face off ?

some people on this forum just need to start using their brains and stop making scenarios up

Haha it was just a thought, no need to get defencive. Alot of people here think YOU need to start using your brain...lol. Geez, maybe you should calm down.

Squidy07 said:

Hey hey, he obviously didn't know or he wouldn't have asked. He said he wasn't sure and he was just asking what would happen. Nu-Nu is a very helpful and knowledgeable contributor on this forum as I've come to realize so let's not make harsh statements please. Next time I'm sure you will word your answers more helpfully ;)

Hey buddy,
When you put up a thread saying " I want a blue ringed octopus". You should expect that most rational people are going to advise against it, simple fact. Especially since you have absolutely no experience with ANY type of octopus.
Obviously you wanted people's input on the subject, so that's what you are getting.
Best of luck with whatever you choose to do!

A better octo would be a bimac. Remember octos need alot of attention, which means personal interaction/contact which would increase risk.

Squidy07 said:

Actually you can still be the victim of a civil suit and your dog would be quarantined.

I know something about dog bites, I dog bite people for a living, ah but were getting off track.

I do imagine you would be civilly liable for any injuries that occur on your property, including the deadly octo. It would take a real bonehead move to be criminally liable.

Can we stay on topic with realistic scenarios please. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with wanting an octo as long as you can provide for it and it does not cause a significant health threat such as a blue ring.

From wiki
"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Furthermore, their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in."

Nasty. Don't work on your tank alone. If you get envenomated your body becomes paralyzed, preventing you from breathing or reacting in any way, but you remain fully aware as you slowly suffocate to death. The venom doesn't kill you though, so if you get assisted breathing for several hours there is a good chance at survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom