i want a blue ring octopus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidy07

Aquarium Advice Activist
my LFS just special ordered one for a customer and it looks freaking amazing !!!!

Wow, no offense, but your crazy!! He hits you once, you could die!!!
They're beautiful, but...man. What if it managed to get out of the tank, which octopii do frequently, and you stepped on it in the middle of the night! Sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.
Not worth it, IMO

Flreefer said:
Wow, no offense, but your crazy!! He hits you once, you could die!!!
They're beautiful, but...man. What if it managed to get out of the tank, which octopii do frequently, and you stepped on it in the middle of the night! Sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.
Not worth it, IMO

haha I know that's y I want it !!!!!

Not to mention that captive octopus will live no more than a few months. And that's if you're lucky

Fish noob said:
Not to mention that captive octopus will live no more than a few months. And that's if you're lucky

This is not true. My lfs "store pet is an octopus" I've been going there for years and it's the same one. Very unique markings. ;)

Sorry, I am military, my lfs in Florida back home. I am an Atlantis fan here in Vegas. Although I do enjoy blue reefs frag tanks. They get octopus often as well.

Keeping one alive and thriving will likely not happen. Octopus are one of the hardest and smartest creatures to keep in an aquarium. If you buy one you better have a good plan on how your going to take care of it in my opinion. Survival rates are so low i would not even waste my money trying. The octopus is smarter and has more time than you. It will kill you, make your wife divorce you, kill itself or break your bank. Just a warning lol.

Also keep in mind deadly animals are best not put on display with access to the enclosure or a way for the animal to get out.

Its no different than owning a loaded gun. You wouldnt want it laying out when company is over. Same idea to think about.

Not saying you cant do it but like i said i would understand 100% what the responsibility is in owning this animal. What can go wrong, will go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know right! i thought about getting my wife a gun for protection but wound up getting her a loaded octopus instead.
with the exception of a few master aquarists of the aquatic universe on here, you wont find many supporters of aquiring marine life other than damsels and snails. granted, ive heard the same bout octos but if youve done the research and thats what you want i say go for it.

Schism said:
Its no different than owning a loaded gun. You wouldnt want it laying out when company is over. Same idea to think about.

Lol only my home gun doesn't have a mind of its own or have the capability of seeking out its owners. Haha, nicely pit tho schism.

sounds like a future premier episode of "when animals attach".

i always hear about octopi crawling out of the tank? where are they going? dont they need water to live? if the biggest worry is finding or stepping on your killer octopus in the middle of the livingroom, couldnt you just get a sandbox and keep it in the backyard?

Toddww1 said:
i know right! i thought about getting my wife a gun for protection but wound up getting her a loaded octopus instead.
with the exception of a few master aquarists of the aquatic universe on here, u wont find many supporters of aquiring marine life other than damsels and snails. granted, ive heard the same bout octos but if youve done the research and thats what u want i say go for it.

you have a blue ring octopus ?? if so where can I find good information on them?

i have subscribed to 3 different reef magazines, bought several books from different bookstores and research the web like crazy. i spend alot of time with my tank. always checking and watching. not everyone has that much time to concentrate on the hobby. i recently moved to MO from AZ, i have a 30g reef coral/ fish tank now, currently building a 55g just for an octo. i gave mine to LFS in Az before i left. knew he wouldnt make the trip. had him for 3 years. they are not impossible to keep, just need more care.

most articles you find online tell you why u shouldnt have one. just keep searching the web and you can find optomistic people that can help you and give advise as to how to care for one. everyone will say the same thing on this forum....dont get one.

Squidy07 said:
u have a blue ring octopus ?? if so where can I find good information on them?

Also keep in mind that they will eat every snail and crab in the tank. You'll need hand and arm protection to safely clean or adjust anything in the tank. Takes a dedicated tank outfitted just for his escape antics. Is your tank well maintained right now: clean water, low nitrates, etc...?

Toddww1 said:
most articles u find online tell u why u shouldnt have one. just keep searching the web and u can find optomistic people that can help u and give advise as to how to care for one. everyone will say the same thing on this forum....dont get one.

ok thank you for your support. I will definitely do alot of research !

I don't disagree with keeping octos other than expect a lifespan of about 6mos max. I highly disagree in keeping bluerings because of their potential health hazard...I just don't see the point other than bragging rights.

Toddww1 said:
most articles u find online tell u why u shouldnt have one. just keep searching the web and u can find optomistic people that can help u and give advise as to how to care for one. everyone will say the same thing on this forum....dont get one.

Only reason i say dont get one is a.) the OP is not informed on how to keep one and keep it alive. Also the fact that it is deadly makes it not so much a great octo if your just learning about them. Just my opinion. Spells for disaster, someone would die, either you or the octopus.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom