Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want a starfish what is reef safe that lives?

After my bad experience with my red star fish I'm looking for something to replace it. My tank is small. 24g. What will be happy and is reef safe? Preferably something that doesn't die in the first day.

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brittle and serpant stars are very hardy starfish and a great addition to any reef tank.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a serpent I like him very well my kids call him the octupus. He only comes out at night. I really wanted something that stays out all the time. I am thinking maybe a brittle.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a orange linka (I think thats what it is) it is about 4" around...hes out all the time and adds a lot of color. Have had him about 3 months.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had an orange (red) linkia for about three months - she stays off the corals, and moves all over the glass day and night. I've been told that they are algae/slime eaters and filter feeders. I haven't had to feed her anything special, so they are pretty easy. Make sure you acclimate any starfish correctly - makes all the difference in the world.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was wondering about a linka I wanted to make sure it was safe. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have a couple of these linkia multifloras.

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD-Linckia_multiflora.htm

I highly recommend them. They acclimate easy, are VERY hardy, and multiply like crazy. I currently have 3 arms that have nearly completed new linkias. Im waiting to build up a supply of them so i can get a pair of harlequins. They are totally reef safe.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoozFishMaster
Brittle and serpant stars are very hardy starfish and a great addition to any reef tank.
Ditto
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've read that linkias are hard maintenance, but from what I'm reading here I guess not...I might sign up for a blue one in the future!!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
I might sign up for a blue one in the future!!
Actually, I think the blue and red linkia are harder to keep personally. The key thing is the acclimation. When you get your linkia, float the bag the entire drip, and then drip the thing at about 1DPS until the bag tests out identical to your system. I dripped mine for about 6.5 hours.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, reef, safe, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com