I want a starfish what is reef safe that lives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
After my bad experience with my red star fish I'm looking for something to replace it. My tank is small. 24g. What will be happy and is reef safe? Preferably something that doesn't die in the first day.

Brittle and serpant stars are very hardy starfish and a great addition to any reef tank.

I have a serpent I like him very well my kids call him the octupus. He only comes out at night. I really wanted something that stays out all the time. I am thinking maybe a brittle.

I have a orange linka (I think thats what it is) it is about 4" around...hes out all the time and adds a lot of color. Have had him about 3 months.

I've had an orange (red) linkia for about three months - she stays off the corals, and moves all over the glass day and night. I've been told that they are algae/slime eaters and filter feeders. I haven't had to feed her anything special, so they are pretty easy. Make sure you acclimate any starfish correctly - makes all the difference in the world.

I was wondering about a linka I wanted to make sure it was safe. Thank you.

I've read that linkias are hard maintenance, but from what I'm reading here I guess not...I might sign up for a blue one in the future!! :D

I might sign up for a blue one in the future!!

Actually, I think the blue and red linkia are harder to keep personally. The key thing is the acclimation. When you get your linkia, float the bag the entire drip, and then drip the thing at about 1DPS until the bag tests out identical to your system. I dripped mine for about 6.5 hours.

Blue linkias are tough to keep. That pink one looks awesome though. Never heard a Linkia was hardy before. I wish I had $150 to spend on that site :(

Brisco............that is an awesome starfish!! Just showed my wife, and that will be coming homw on our next order!! WOW! :D

thanks Brisc0, I'll remember that one, go figure, the ones I like are the hard ones to keep...

I've read that the oranges are the easiest and the blues are the hardest and reds moderate. I think I'll go with the orange although I like that pink one.

I am thinking of trying an orange as well. Since im growing my linkia for live food I may increase my stock of mother stars. Hopefully i'll have enough to get my nano setup with Harqs by spring!

It's like he's talking to me but I don't understand what he's saying...?!

LOL! Brisc0 that looks like a foreign language to me! What are you putting in your nano and what are you feeding your starfish to!?

Brisc0 said:
I have a couple of these linkia multifloras.

They acclimate easy, are VERY hardy, and multiply like crazy. I currently have 3 arms that have nearly completed new linkias.

Wow! Brisco, is it common for these Linkias to multiply in aquariums?
Phyl, he's getting harlequin shrimp for the nano, and they only eat starfish :wink:

HAHAHAH I am sooo sorry. Its been a busy day at work so im doing the front desk and have been in a jabber box 1000 MPH mood today. But yea, MT79 nailed it.

"Wow! Brisco, is it common for these Linkias to multiply in aquariums?"

My buddy Jeff and I both ordered one of these from reefermadness about 5 months ago when they first offered them and they each shed three arms for both of us in totally different reef tanks. The arms have all grown back a central disc as well as about 60% of the other arms. So yea, I will say with some certainty that if you have good conditions these guys will drop arms that will regenerate new stars.

In fact, not to go into speculation, but I got a feeling thats why reefermadness has offered this particular "more rare" linkia for so many months now for only 20 bucks.

In addition to brittle and seepent I have an orange linkia and a burgandy/purple which are very hardy. I tried a blue, but it only lasted about 3 months. :( All are reef safe as I understand.

Avoid chocolate chip and common stars for a reef.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom