I want clean sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this brown algae all over my sand. It mostly seems to be growing on the side of my tank that gets some sunlight. I've been battling it for like two months, trying syphon it out without taking too much of my sand bed with it.

Any suggestions for beating this stuff.? I absolutely hate it, and it seems to be spreading. At this point I don't even mind some "quick-fix" chemical that I'll have to keep usuing. I just want it gone.

its probably the sunlight. you might want to consider covering that area with black paper to block it out.

If your tank is new this is normal and will disappear with good water parameters, decent light and water flow. Cerith snails may help in the meantime. Otherwise you can use a turkey baster to gently blow it off.

My tank is almost a year old. Ammonia nd Nitrite are 0. I use RO/DI water, but my phosphates (0.25ppm) and nitrates (15.0ppm) are are still too high (not sure why, I only feed every other day). I have a host of ceriths, but they don't touch it much.

hmmm. I noticed you have a Fluval. What are you using in it? With your LR you shouldn't need to use your Fluval for anything except chemical filitration or water flow. If you are using the foam or biorings this may be your source of nitrates.

I don't think sunlight alone would cause a diatom bloom. Usually high nitrates I believe are what feed it. I did have a bad case a month ago that lasted for weeks and it just recently subsided. I am pretty sure that mine was related to the left over silica in my water because I hadn't alyways used RO/DI.

Wait wait wait, what is the problem with having sponges in a fluval (in a reef tank). My nitrates are a little high (and i have had trouble controlling them), and i have sponges in my fluval. Could this be the reason?

If you don't clean the sponge regularly than detritus will build up on them and rot, which will produce nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom