Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeyta3
I had white mildly cloudy water for some time. Tried every kind of mechanical filtration possible, nothing worked. Then I learned it was a bacterial bloom. Turned off my reactor and adjusted the amount of media, and 24 hours later it was crystal clear. Is your skimmer filling fast or faster than normal with not so dark water? Maybe yellowish water? If so, I bet that "not clear" look is a bacterial.
If it is bacterial the uv sterilizer would take care of it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went and bought a 25 watt smart uv and it did nothing. As soon as I found the source.....excessive pure carbon, it cleared up. You aren't using vodka or bio plastics are you. Those will create more bacteria than the uv can sterilize. A uv doesn't kill bacteria, just sterilizes it so they can't reproduce. If you have another source creating them extremely fast a uv won't fix it.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

My problem is not bacterial I'm sure. The water itself is clear, it's just tiny white particles floating around. Lots of them. It may be microbubbles but I have turned the skimmer off for a bit and I guess that would be the main culprit.

I'm thinking if emailing Red Sea Coral Pro maker to see if it's a bad batch? Would they do anything?

I also bought a filter sock but it was MASSIVE!!! So no use in a 130L!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You will always have some stuff in your water and thats a good thing because thats what corals eat. If you want to clear it up some and it did help mine a lot. I still have some stuff floating around but not near as much. I bought a phosban reactor ROX 0.8
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Knowing that that stuff is helpful to the tank is a great help, thanks.

I can't seem to get that carbon in the UK. There are a few things on eBay though, but that stuff looks good.

I have never ran carbon before.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
IMO The keys to clearwater are ,filter floss and activated carbon in filtration ,uv sterilizer,and proper PWc's.
I use none of that on a regular basis (except the proper PWC's) and my water looks like liquid crystal.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80 View Post
I use none of that on a regular basis (except the proper PWC's) and my water looks like liquid crystal.
Then you are the exception to the rule.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can get it in the UK, Purigen will help polish the water as well if what is there is actually particulate in nature. The filter floss will also help catch the larger particles.

I think saltwater tanks by nature always have some microbubbles...the inhabitants themselse, I've seen the mussel I got on the liverock spit out a few bubbles that took forever to dissipate.

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com