I want to add 3" of sand to an existing mature tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, I have toyed around with it, and have made the decision that I want to add 3" more sand to my now 3" sand bed. I have done minimal searching for the ups and downs to doing this, and just want to know if you were going to do this, how would you do it...I am going to prolly use silica sand, because you can't find SD, OC, or YR down here, and I am not going to spend $2 a lb for dry sand...

So, my dilema is this, I have a few hermits and a serpent star. The other snails stay out of the sand except for one Nassarius Snail which stays in the sand... How would I go about putting 120 lbs of sand in there now?

Add no more than 1/2 " every other day or 3 days. I would wet the sand first and scoop it in with a cup, then smoth it out.

You might check with Aquaculture of Gainesville, they bought alot of SD sand (got it in bulk from the supplier), see if they have any dry left and what they will sell it to you for. I would mention, (if they go high on price) that they only payed 20 per ton for it.

What Kevin said. Also, to prevent clouding (as much as possible), I'd try to slide the dampened sand down a length of PVC aimed at the bottom of the tank.

i would wet the sand and freeze it in pie tins add the frozen chunk and let it thaw in there. 1 tin of sand at a time every few days...

i would wet the sand and freeze it in pie tins add the frozen chunk and let it thaw in there. 1 tin of sand at a time every few days...

*Awesome* idea! Kudos coming at ya!!

How do you guys get it to sink? I tried that as ice cubes and they floated. Later I had to use the PVC method.

Man this is cool.. thanks everyone, we ought to make this a sticky... Keep the ideas coming, and it can be an add on to the article on changing out substrates :lol:

I think to avoid the "ice floats" issue don't get the sand that wet. just wet enough to give the grains something to freeze to. should work...

You know, Jacksonville's Sand Depot's Suck...

I called every one of the local Building and Landscape providers, looking for oolithic sand and they all told me they don't sell it....

I then Looked for the Martin Marietta plant and found it... As soon as I mentioned Oolithic sand, they told me NO WE DO NOT SELL THAT SAND and hung up... :twisted:

These companies suck so bad it hurts....Corporate America pulls the reigns again :twisted:

Sucks Sucks Sucks :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The HD stores here also look at you like you have 3 heads when you ask them about SD, OC, or YR sand.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can't a guy fill a Playground/sand box with something other than Silica sand in Florida?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom