I want to buy more fish and need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 225 gal FO tank and added fish last month. Since everyone is still alive and my levels are consistently good, I want to start adding more fish. Right now I have 2 Damselfish (3-spot Domino and Blue), 1 Blue Tang (Dori), and 1 HI (yellow) Tang. I have 120 lbs of base rock that is starting to show some green and red algae growth. I have a "cleaner pack" (snails, crabs, worms, sea stars, and shrimp) so I'm not too concerned there, I just don't want them eaten by their tankmates.

I'm very concerned about tank compatibility more than anything and want to make sure everyone will get along. Of course since I have Dori, my niece wants Nemo (clownfish) too (actually she wants Nemo I and Nemo II, lol). According to the charts I should be OK there.

I guess what I want to know is how many more fish can I buy with my tank size and what would you recommend with this temperament? I keep reading the compatibility charts, but I get confused. Also, I will be adding live rock, but I don't plan on having a true reef aquarium. If you can also suggest some low light coral or mushrooms that will look good that would be appreciated.

A pair of Clownfish as you stated would be very nice.

I'm partial to Banggai Cardinalfish and I think a mated pair would look very nice as well.

Perhaps down the road a bit one of the Pigmy angels like a flame.

A Rabbitfish of some type would also be a very peaceful resident.

Thanks, I'll have to ask my neice about the Cardinalfish, but she does like the Rabbitfish and angels (yes she is extremely spoiled by me, lol). I like everything you suggested. I didn't think angels and tangs got along, it they do that will make me real happy.

Get a true mated pair of Percula Clowns... And I'm also partial to Flame angels...

I have 8 fish in a 90 gallon... So, you do the math...but I also have 1.5# per gallon of LR, and a LS bed ... I have had no problems due to overstocking ...just compatability.

I don't see why you couldn't get a large angel like a Queen angelfish... they are gorgeous and normally only dangerous to some corals...

i had a coral beauty with a yellow tang there was no problems,
have you thought of any gobies?
or a school of chromis?

I did think about a school of chromis too, how many would be safe? There are so many fish to choose from.

A school of chromis looks great when in a nice tank i would go w/ that but a clown pair would be nice
Just my opinion
Mr. Marine

Scooter Blennys are very characteristic.. Not the best looking fish but their personality grows on you.. My wife says her 2 fav. fish in our tank are the Scooter Blenny and Blue Tang... I have to admit I am starting to like Scooter as well.. Very fun to watch.. I agree with getting like 2 True Percula clowns they don't have to be a mated pair but I would get them at the same time..

HTH<
James

The flame angle is a very active swimmer if you want something that may grab your nieces attention. he's a very beautiful fish too. I think a pair of clowns would be cool too, but that's what I am adding next to my tank and so I'm slightly partial to them too. Also, a lot of times the fish that isn't necessarily the "coolest" to look at has the most intriguing, however you spell that, personality. I would check into some of the gobies, and blennies. It's a blast to watch them dig in the rocks. You also mentioned getting corals, or mushrooms. I've been told that the pygmy angles will often nip at your corals, though some do get along fine with out doing so. I wouldn't know though, I've never kept corals so I've never had to worry.

i've heard that you need at least 6 chromis to school. i have 4 and they do NOT school. they do squable endlessly with each other 2 at a time. very cute though.

I had 4 chromis too, and they didn't school either, so you're probably right about needing more.

And just a little word of advice from another uncle...it's nice to get your niece involved in your hobby, but unless she lives with you (or close by) and is willing to share in the responsibility and joy of taking care of them, don't let her make ALL the decisions as to what goes in the tank. (my nephew would have had me buy 200 Nemos, a swarm of sharks and the Loch Ness Monster) Then when he loses interest in it, guess who'd be stuck caring for all of them. If you're the hobbyist in the family, do what you enjoy. Or get your niece her own tank with a simple setup and see how she does.

--Aquabear

With a tank that huge you have a lot of options...I wish I had the space(and money) for something like that!! I have 75 gallon and had a Blue hippo tang and a bicolor together in that. They never had a squabble. The bicolor is supposed to be a little more difficult to keep than other angels, from what I have read, but he has been my most active and healthy fish of all. He swims in and out of the live rock all day, which is great because I went to all that trouble to make all those caves and passageways...its nice to see someone use them. Speaking of swimming, when he moves its so smooth...it's almost like he's swimming in maple syrup. On top of all that, his coloring absolutely takes your breath away. So glad I picked him up!!!

Wow, yu have lots of options. coral beauty, flame angel, or some of the larger angels would be nice. You do not have coral to worry about so why not try a Queen or Empertor angel? With the inverts I would stay away from triggers.

i have a sailfin tang and flame angle there they couldnt be better friends remember ech fish is differant

p_80182.jpg

I love these Black Bar Chromis and am going to add 8 of them I think. LINK HERE

Back
Top Bottom