I want to start a saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifflin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gallon bow front aquarium that I think I've decided to do as saltwater. Anyone have any tips to make it cost effective for me?

Unfortunately saltwater ain't cheap and usually cutting corners isn't a good idea, best way I would say to save money is research everything your going to buy to make sure it's right and doesn't need replacing and limit mistakes which can be costly . Also look on eBay and Craigslist etc for 2nd hand stuff where you can.

Taotronic LEDs
Koralia Powerheads
Dry Rock
DIY sump using a 20g long tank
Bulk reef supply ro/di unit

Skimmer isn't 100% necessary but is still a good buy.

The led lights are only if you want to keep coral and there are cheaper options than LEDs, the sump isn't a necessity but will be beneficial and tbf I think a skimmer is a part of the Berlin filtration method so would definitely recommend getting one in my opinion also ro I unit is avoidable if you can get distiller water from super market or ro do water from lfs

The led lights are only if you want to keep coral and there are cheaper options than LEDs, the sump isn't a necessity but will be beneficial and tbf I think a skimmer is a part of the Berlin filtration method so would definitely recommend getting one in my opinion also ro I unit is avoidable if you can get distiller water from super market or ro do water from lfs

Everyone who starts salt water ends up with a reef, with cheap LED's, you get what you pay for, distilled water is not a good option, you have no idea when the filters were changed, if you have an emergency at night or a holiday, then what are you going to do. RODI needs to be your very first piece of equipment. This is NOT a cheap hobby, but starting off cheap will only cost you money 6-12 months later, but then again thats just my opinion as a successful reefer.

Everyone who starts salt water ends up with a reef, with cheap LED's, you get what you pay for, distilled water is not a good option, you have no idea when the filters were changed, if you have an emergency at night or a holiday, then what are you going to do. RODI needs to be your very first piece of equipment. This is NOT a cheap hobby, but starting off cheap will only cost you money 6-12 months later, but then again thats just my opinion as a successful reefer.

The "cheap" LEDs are used by some of the most successful feeders on this forum. While there are better lights out there they are still incredibly good for their price. Also, distilled water doesn't use filters at all but instead condenses water vapor similar to how liquor is made.

I will agree that ro/Di however is very important. A large number of problems do start out with tap water. However that doesn't mean you can't have a successful reef without it as long as your tap water is of a high quality.

What I meant is cheaper options than LEDs anyway like t5s but that won't be a priority as fish is usually first thing in a tank until it is established so can get by on whatever lights come with the tank to start (if any). And personally I don't have a ro di unit yet but I keep a container of ro di water incase I need it. But in my opinion as the above the main thing is just not to use tap water

I know that local Walmart sells to water for pretty cheap. I want a hob skimmer if I can to start. Any recommendations?

I know that local Walmart sells to water for pretty cheap. I want a hob skimmer if I can to start. Any recommendations?

The problem is that you do not know the source of their water or what is in it, your water is what your fish and corals live in, start right, do it right and you will be successful

I agree with taotronics if you are going to get coral.... Which you probably will.

You don't need an RO/DI but it does help. I still get my water from the grocery store.. But I'm picky on my brand. I get crystal springs from Safeway it's the only one ive found that says "purified by reverse osmosis"

Sorry I meant Walmart sells RO water by the 5 gallon size for pretty cheap. Ay suggestions on a good hob skimmer? I was wanting to run a hob skimmer and a power filter with carbon.

Why would you use a type of water that is more than likely formed in condensed copper piping?? (distilled) i dont care what process it goes through afterwards, theres always the risk of copper being in the water. It costs roughly 150 bucks for an RODI unit from BRS. Thats 2 nice dinners out to eat. Also to whomever said that trying to go cheap will only cost you money down the road, they are 100% right as im an example. Ive spent 2 years replacing the "cheap" crap that the previous owner built the setup with

Thanks for the info. Im going to be looking out for deals on a skimmer and a ro d unit.

Thanks for the info. Im going to be looking out for deals on a skimmer and a ro d unit.

Slim skim runs about $80-90 and the BRS rodi unit runs about $150-180. Both are two of the best investments I've made. Also with the lighting. You can always get cheaper T-5 lighting but you will have to replace the bulbs every 9 months roughly. The fish, tank, coral, inverts, and basically everything in the tank will look better under metal halide or LED lighting in my opinion and the shimmer you get from metal halide and LED just makes the tank have that much more personality

I've got a BRS 4 stage "basic" RO/DI unit with booster pump, and all fittings/ extra tubing so you can hook it up to any water source. It's less than a year old and has filtered about 200 gallons of water. I'll sell everything for $150. PM me if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom