Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I want to start a saltwater tank.

I have a 46 gallon bow front aquarium that I think I've decided to do as saltwater. Anyone have any tips to make it cost effective for me?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately saltwater ain't cheap and usually cutting corners isn't a good idea, best way I would say to save money is research everything your going to buy to make sure it's right and doesn't need replacing and limit mistakes which can be costly . Also look on eBay and Craigslist etc for 2nd hand stuff where you can.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Taotronic LEDs
Koralia Powerheads
Dry Rock
DIY sump using a 20g long tank
Bulk reef supply ro/di unit

Skimmer isn't 100% necessary but is still a good buy.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The led lights are only if you want to keep coral and there are cheaper options than LEDs, the sump isn't a necessity but will be beneficial and tbf I think a skimmer is a part of the Berlin filtration method so would definitely recommend getting one in my opinion also ro I unit is avoidable if you can get distiller water from super market or ro do water from lfs
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
The led lights are only if you want to keep coral and there are cheaper options than LEDs, the sump isn't a necessity but will be beneficial and tbf I think a skimmer is a part of the Berlin filtration method so would definitely recommend getting one in my opinion also ro I unit is avoidable if you can get distiller water from super market or ro do water from lfs
Everyone who starts salt water ends up with a reef, with cheap LED's, you get what you pay for, distilled water is not a good option, you have no idea when the filters were changed, if you have an emergency at night or a holiday, then what are you going to do. RODI needs to be your very first piece of equipment. This is NOT a cheap hobby, but starting off cheap will only cost you money 6-12 months later, but then again thats just my opinion as a successful reefer.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post

Everyone who starts salt water ends up with a reef, with cheap LED's, you get what you pay for, distilled water is not a good option, you have no idea when the filters were changed, if you have an emergency at night or a holiday, then what are you going to do. RODI needs to be your very first piece of equipment. This is NOT a cheap hobby, but starting off cheap will only cost you money 6-12 months later, but then again thats just my opinion as a successful reefer.
The "cheap" LEDs are used by some of the most successful feeders on this forum. While there are better lights out there they are still incredibly good for their price. Also, distilled water doesn't use filters at all but instead condenses water vapor similar to how liquor is made.

I will agree that ro/Di however is very important. A large number of problems do start out with tap water. However that doesn't mean you can't have a successful reef without it as long as your tap water is of a high quality.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What I meant is cheaper options than LEDs anyway like t5s but that won't be a priority as fish is usually first thing in a tank until it is established so can get by on whatever lights come with the tank to start (if any). And personally I don't have a ro di unit yet but I keep a container of ro di water incase I need it. But in my opinion as the above the main thing is just not to use tap water
Old 08-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know that local Walmart sells to water for pretty cheap. I want a hob skimmer if I can to start. Any recommendations?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE=Jmifflin;2610869]I know that local Walmart sells to water for pretty cheap. I want a hob skimmer if I can to start. Any recommendations?

The problem is that you do not know the source of their water or what is in it, your water is what your fish and corals live in, start right, do it right and you will be successful
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with taotronics if you are going to get coral.... Which you probably will.

You don't need an RO/DI but it does help. I still get my water from the grocery store.. But I'm picky on my brand. I get crystal springs from Safeway it's the only one ive found that says "purified by reverse osmosis"

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com