Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was reading about all glass aquariums

The quote from the book is "The intact skin of the glass gives it its greatest strength. For the same reason, guard against damaging the glass yourself when the tank is in use."

Now I am very freaked out because the tank I am getting does have scratches. Its a fair amount. The tank is ten years old, so I just figured that happens over time, but does this weaken the glass significantly? Also, I didn't see any leaks or anything in the sealant, but how worried should I be about ten year old silicone?

Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If the tank is holding water now it should be fine. If its not full now ask the owner to fill it with water 24 hour before your visit so you can see it holding water before you purchase.

I have a 10+ year old heavily scratched tank and I have no concernes over it busting. The glass thickness on old tanks is usually a bit thicker than modern tanks of equivlent size.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
I know how you feel - the tnak i got was used and I cleaned it and touched up the seals abit and put it in my garage and filled it up and marked the water level with tape and left it for about a week and it didnt loss any water....so I can only assume Im ok, I suggest you do the same...maybe not as long. but if you get it for a good price....go for it....I found a good write up on how to reseal a glass tank and scratches dont weakin the glass, cracks or chips will though...
I got mine cause I couldnt find a 90gal for $50 and my friend was selling his to me for that...
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do people do to scratch up these tanks?
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What do people do to scratch up these tanks?
Move rocks, clean with sand embedded in the cleaner brush, etc.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I swear the guy who owned the tank before me must have used a brillo pad. 8O

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was looking to see if there was such a thing as a glass buffer that would bascially fill in the scratchs and come out clear...but i doubt they make it and if so i doubt it would be tank safe
Old 04-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, thanks. I feel slightly better. Now if the floor holds, we will be good to go. Has anyone put extra support under their house? Is it hard to do?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what size tank? Id think most house up there have 2x6 or 8's for flooring, if so you shouldnt have to worry about that unless u have a huge tank.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
Ok, thanks. I feel slightly better. Now if the floor holds, we will be good to go. Has anyone put extra support under their house? Is it hard to do?
My house is +25 y.o. and the tank will be setup in the living room. Just to be on the safe side and to CMA, I added two extra joists (2"x12") where the tank is, so that when I will finally fill it up. I can safely sleep at night. Not hard to do, just a matter of having the joists cut at the proper lenght and insert proper inserts. When I have a chance, this evening or this week-end, I'll put a pic of what I did.

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com