Ibrahim's 25g Mixed Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry...I meant you arent going to throw in livestock yet are you? Let it cycle and establish. With only 5 gallons, you're going to need a stable bio-load that isn't relying on the addition of chemicals to keep it that way.

Oh no. Im going to add ammonia 2 more times after I see Nitrites to make sure im cycled. So far my reading are
Ammonia 3ppm
Nitrite .25 ppm
Nitrate 0
When I see only nitrates im going to add ammonia again twice like I said earlier. The only chemical im adding is Bio-Spira just to make the cycle go a bit faster

I was thinking about a sw pico but Im scred lol I never tried sw. How much would it cost to set up a pico? I might have a 5 gallon opening up soon. What kind of light would I need?

I was thinking about a sw pico but Im scred lol I never tried sw. How much would it cost to set up a pico? I might have a 5 gallon opening up soon. What kind of light would I need?

Managing a 5g SW tank would be difficult for a beginner because there's less water volume and things can easily get off track.

I started with a 55g (and it's still my current tank) and I messed that up too many times to count.

You can, of course, do what you like.. just trying to give you a heads up! (y)

k my ammonia is 0 nitrites 3 nitrates 80. I just added a pound of live rock (cured) so I'm going to re test tomorrow and if nitrites are 0 I'm going to dose 4ppm ammonia and wait till everything comes down again. If all works then I should start stocking in a week or so

Ok added ammonia a few hours ago and so far readings are
Ammonia 2-4ppm
Nitrite .50 ppm
Nitrate 100ppm

Well since everything read zero I went out and got a couple damsels :D I love em soo much but I'm going to be giving them away when I'm getting my goby and shrimps nd crabs. They are only .5" each so I think I'm not overstocked

Well the damsels are eating the garlic flakes like champs and no sign of any ick or diseases. Will upload pics soon. I also added 2 small .25" stars I saw attached to my media bag from my 75g, 2 red legged hermit crabs, and 2 large Nerite snails to help with diatoms.

First pic is of them during feeding time.
Second pic is a red mushroom and a small Kenya tree frag I thought might do good since it's a low light coral and the temporary lighting is 12w.
The last pic is live baserock from my 75g that I used to fill gaps in the arch.
I also haven't decided on the color of the backgrounded. So suggestions would help.

carey said:
Tank looks so clean and tidy! I really like how the fish pop out at ya, looks very cool.

Thanks I'm thinking bout adding a canister filter to keep it tht way

a canister filter for a 4g?
are you going to do overkill or do they make them that small?

curious.. wouldn't a gallon pwc a week keep your water pristine?

scottayy said:
a canister filter for a 4g?
are you going to do overkill or do they make them that small?

curious.. wouldn't a gallon pwc a week keep your water pristine?

The canister i have in mind is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000YJ0M1E/ref=aw_d_cr_pet-supplies the flow is perfect for my 5g and it gives me more filtration while the spray bar can act like my PH. The GPH is 80 so that's good flow.

Oh, wow, that is sweet. Haven't ever seen any that small. Not that I've looked around a lot.. cool to know.

UPDATE: Unfortunately I couldn't go because of my parents being busy and not having a ride. I should be able to go this weekend though. So far all the fish have been doing well and I'm starting to see a bit of brown algae and diatoms but other then that everything is good. I've ordered a canister filter rated for 20g
My Parameters are
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10-20
PH: 8.1
SG: 1.025

Back
Top Bottom