Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ice Cap 660 Ballast

I have a few questions on setting this ballast up. If you have one and have set one up, let me know.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

grndhog,

I don't have an icecap, but I have played with many a ballast in my efforts to acheive lighting.

what's the question - that might help get the ball rolling...

Old 10-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I didnt want to bore everybody with this but, here it is, I just got my ballast and lighting system in yesterday (VHO). When I was inspecting it and trying to get a basic idea of how it all was put together, I noticed that the power cord from the wall to the ballast was not connected to the ballast. O.K. not a big deal since it looked like it was set up that way. I looked for the place on the ballast where the 3 wires hooked into the ballast and all I saw was a 4 prong quick disconnect female on the side by the fuse. Then I looked for the male end somewhere in the box where the 3 bare wires would be inserted, no luck.

Is this where my bare wires are suppose to go or I am I way off base? Yes, I did scan the insrtuction for help, nope.

Any ideas? TIA

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
hey ground hog, I noticed this on www.championlighting.com the other day when reading thru there lighting selecton HTH. I think there may be a place for the power in the harness itself. here is a qoute from there site.

IceCap Ballast do not come with a power cord. A 3 prong power cord can be purchased at any hardware store. The power cord must be wired to the harness. Please do not confuse the dimmer port as a power port.
PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE ASSEMBLY!
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast itself. Use that as a refernce for your two power leads and the ground.

Google search turned up the following wireing diagrams. Hope they help to some extent.

http://www.justphish.com/drygoods/6602lampdiagram.htm

http://www.justphish.com/drygoods/6603lampdiagram.htm

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

O.K. I think I have a clue now. My ballast came w/ a 3 prong cord and it accually has to be spliced into the wiring harness that the end caps are wired to.

This makes no sense to me, why wouldnt they have the power cord hard wired to the ballast. The ballast can not work without electricity, every application, it has to have electricity.

Thanks guys for the help, I need to call them and ask why or why not.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
bieng that there shipped all over the world. I imagine there are differant plug styles. for example: in the UK I Think there three prong looks differant then our three prong here in the States.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah, now that makes sense!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Tags
ballast, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com