ice in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlightRisk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok today we got our first taste of summer, 85 degrees in New Jersey. My tank got up to 88 degrees 8O . I cant afford a chiller for my tank, so my wife says :cry: . The next thought I have, why not ices cubes? I'll put some RO water in the ice tray and put the cudes in the sump, why not? Will this work?

it would lower your salienity and thats about the only problem I would see.. Besides the effect of it not working really....

What about the cubes in the top off water, to lower the temp. Then putting it in the tank. 1 gal every other day of chilled water has to cool off of the water some right? What about the shock to the fish? I'm thinking if its put into the sump the cooler water would be dispersed through the tank.

Do you have central AC or a room unit you can use? I have my 20 gallon in a room that receives direct afternoon sun and gets very hot but my tank has rarely gone above 84 degrees F. Try a fan blowing over the sump or over the main tank or both. This will faciltate evaporative cooling but be prepared to top off more often or look into an auto topoff system. I think the fans are the simplest solution. If you want to run AC then that too will work.
The ice in the sump will also work but can be unreliable unless you are there to keep adding ice and checking the temp. I only live a couple of hours from NJ and the temp here today was also mid 80's My 20 gallon with a 175 MH got up to about 83...i have a fan that blows outside air around the tank and 2 fans in the lighting canopy that help also. HTH

I don't have any fans on the canopy. I'll set the fans up this week end. Point taken about whoes going to maintain ice when I'm not there. Thanks

Ice cubes

I'll say it...I think the ice cubes is a pretty good idea if you're willing to do it. You know how much evaporation you have to replace....the ice won't cause a dramatic drop in temperature since it will melt.

...just don't add a whole lot of ice all at once!!!

I use an iceprobe microchiller on my 30 gal. That's pushing the iceprobe, but it keeps things under control anyway.

Ice probe

I did a review of this product. It is posted in the review forum somewhere...I'm happy with it, but you have to have a small tank. ...but small tanks tend to have the most temp problem.

Don't use ice cubes, rather freeze ice in a clean waterbottle to prevent a salinity change. Just get a few in a rotation going and you should be set.

There was a post for a homemade chiller that worked pretty well for someone, it's in the DIY section. Calls for some tubing and a styrofoam cooler and some ice...

the freezing of the water bottles is BRILLIANT!!! I would have never thought of this and I too need something to help cool my water in a 125. That is awesome. Thanks for the info! 8O

No matter which way you go, it is important to have a good heater in the tank to prevent the water from getting too cold. I should point out, that the heater will need to be in the tank, not the sump. If floating the Ice in the sump, the heater will simply stay on all the time and do little good except to melt the ice faster, in the tank it will heat the tank water as the temperature drops.

Another thing to try would be to put ice cubes in a ziplock bag and place them in the sump. Then you need not worry about SG, and (or) introducing unprepared water into the tank. When they melt, then you just place it back into the freezer and when its ready put it back in. You can also have a few made up in advance.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom