Ich?! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I think the dart fish I just got have ich and also my clown has one spot on him...now I'm beyond upset that I have to deal with this my tank has always been good. So my question is what do I do? Where do I start? I have inverts and corals so coppers out of the picture...should I set up a Qt? Hypo? Also what about freshwater dip? I've read mixed reviews?

Trust me also I'm never putting another thing in my tank with out qt! I think I'm just gonna buy a nano tank I've been wanting anyways so I can just use that as a qt and also a new tank

get them out pronto and get a qt tank there is no real cure that is reef or invert safe that works. In the qt you can use copper or hypo. Personally I use cupramine and it is very effective. Good luck keep us posted

Yea I get paid tomorrow so I'm going to buy all the stuff I need...I'm beyond upset, now I have a mandarin who is the fattest fish in my tank and I don't see any spots on him but still wanna qt but he eats only pods so am I going to have to supply pods which can be expensive any advice?

Mandarin is not known to get Ick like otherfish not impossible but they are not likely to get it

My tank was healthy got two true perculas put them in. Noticed next day one had ich. Spread to other fish. LFS said do nothing because the fish are hearty and would clear up in four weeks. I was going to get a QT to treat the fish, but decided against it. My wife was in the hospital for a week so I didn't see how things progresses. Came back to 5 fish dead or missing. QT is the way to go. He's been wrong about so many things.

Don't take advice from lfs they just sell fish and know all yur fish died guess what u want to purchase more do more money to lfs follow me... Take advice from the people on hear that have nothing to gain but helping a fellow hobbiest out... Qt everything this stuff has spread like wild fire in this hobby

So my female clown and all three dart fish have passed...the other fish seem to be doing better all I have left now is male o. Clown orange spot goby and a green mandarin...I'm gonna let my tank just be for 2 months which sucks but I guess its the best...question because I have corals and inverts still in my tank do I need to feed? And how often? I have about 10 hermits 10 snails 1 coral banded shrimp and a RBTA and about 6 lps corals and some shrooms and palys

I have just lost 9 fish to ich and after much research this is my advice.
Get a QT tank. All not some but all fish in your DT must be assumed to carry the parasite so remove all of them.

Ich is most likely in the gills and mouths of those with no spots. They all must be removed from the DT if corals , live rock, inverts present. Your DT must set fishless but do all the maintanance for 45 days. The ich will literally go though its life cycle without hosts and starve out in that time.

Ich once it detaches from the host will sink to the substrate and is non infectious for a short time as it multiplies. It then becomes free swimming in the tank and finds a host. Once a host is infected it may time some time to see outward signs. The whole vicious cycle then begins again.

I won't try and tell you the best treatment in the QT. Some say hyposalinity bringing the numbers down in the QT to 1.10-1.15 for a specific amount of time. Others say Cupramine or ParaGaurd works well.

Others say only Cupramine or hypo works at all. Cupramine and hypo are tried and true and for specific treatment of ich that is most likely your best choices.

Yea I have my fish in the qt and just started hypo on Saturday but was just wondering about feeding for my inverts?

Back
Top Bottom