Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I forgot to mention that it also depends on the severity of the ICH outbreak. If it is impossible to QT all your fish then you have 2 options to make.
1. Just let all the fish die and fallow the tank for 2 months then start all over with fish.
2. Apply Xtreme garlic for 2 months or more until you are convinced the ICH has been irradicated.

I am pretty sure the good choice is #2. Whither it is effective or not at least you tried to save your fish.
Just waiting it out until all you fish die is very ill responsible , think about how many newbie see that comment, that is so not an option, if you have an infection or and issue and you decision is to just let everything die and start over, you shouldn't be in this hobby, sorry but that was an lame comment, omg ugh this is not a throw away hobby, this is so the wrong attitude, lets just keep killing our oceans and just buy more. This is why governments are starting to regulate, we are becoming part of the problem and not part of the solution. UGH

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are absolutely right! That means it leaves you only 1 option which is the #2. Unless you have other options that you can share. I was just laying out the right and wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

2. Apply Xtreme garlic for 2 months or more until you are convinced the ICH has been irradicated.

From the same author

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good reading on that one and the post is very much appreciated. Again, we are talking about which option to take when there is no way you can QT all your fish in another container for 8 weeks. I still need to hear yet from someone who was successful in doing so. if it is popular that Garlic is effective, I strongly incline to believe the testimony of those people regardless of no scientific evidence. Since I was able to prove it to myself so I am convinced.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Garlic is NOT going to eradicate ich. Period. However, it can presumably strengthen the fishes immune system reducing the number of occurrences of ich that fish has. My tank had ich for a little over a year with maybe 1 visible cyst a month. The fish were fighting it off and doing a good job of it, but the parasite is still there.

Even if you don't see the cysts on the fish that doesn't mean they aren't there. The gills are the very first thing that ich will affect.

Doing something as simple as keeping your nitrates as close to zero as possible and creating a stress free environment will do wonders at controlling your ich. That's what many very experienced members of the community does including Gregcoyote and Mr. X if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's not an answer to my simple question. What is your option?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
That's not an answer to my simple question. What is your option?
What exactly was your simple question?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you just posted something without even reading what is being discussed? Reread my comment after Melosu58 which is right before you posted yours. I guess it explains why your fish were wiped out when you did not take any option to treat them.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
So you just posted something without even reading what is being discussed? Reread my comment after Melosu58 which is right before you posted yours. I guess it explains why your fish were wiped out when you did not take any option to treat them.
I read the entire thread about what was being discussed but your vaguely worded question escaped me as to what you were seriously talking about.

As a matter of fact I've never lost a fish to ich, whether it's salt water or fresh water so I am not sure who you got me mixed up with. There are also many many people that successfully treat their fish with a hyposalinity quarantine. Just because they aren't posting in this thread doesn't mean they aren't here.

If you're referring to my issue with velvet, then that's the time when the spots showed up on a fish that I added to a tank where I was performing hyposalinity to take care of my ich once and for all. Never seen a problem with sickness other than ich at my LFS so I made the mistake of trusting him. When the first sign of velvet showed up I noticed it as I was leaving to go downstate to take my mother to a fairly important doctor appointment. By the time I came back it was too late for the 2 fish I lost. But you're right; it was OBVIOUSLY because I took no option to treat my fish.

If you still haven't found proof that a fallow period and QT treating fish works then check back with me in a month and I will show you an ich free tank after I transfer my 20 reef over.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If that is the question then that is not the only two choices. A UV would be another option. Feeding algae based foods would be another. If it was me I would go the UV light way on an ich outbreak. Not trying to discount anyone's experience. There is more than one way to do things in this hobby. If garlic worked for you then I am glad.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com