Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich

So what do you guys use to take care of ich in reef tanks now in days

Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Time.

I don't add anything. I just keep water quality top notch and try my best to cause as least amount of stress on the fish as possible.

-Tropical water diver🏊 and marine lover.🐠🐟🐬🐳🐋

Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It depends on the cause of the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A 6 week fallow period for the reef and in a separate tank a hyposalinity treatment for the fish.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some Ich facts:

First off, cleaner shrimp will not help, there are only 3 known proven treatments of MI. And ALL must be done in a qt. 1.Copper, instructions must be followed to a T, MUST be done in QT, very hard on the fish, 2.Hypo, to be done correctly it needs to be done with a refractometer, swing arms are to inaccurate and inconsistent, must be down in a qt, may take 4-8 weeks, and a lesser use transfer method, uses a ton of salt rodi and labor. Also DT will need to be fallow (fish less) for 8-10 weeks for MI to die off without a host (fish) to keep it multiplying. There are NO reef safe meds, ick out, ick cure, ick rid or any of the other snake oils out there. Ick outbreaks are caused by stress and any Tang in a small tank will be stressed out, they swim 25 miles or more a day. Also do not do copper and hypo at the same time.
Fish get ich from stress, too small of a tank, too many fish, incompatable tank mates. Or bad unstable parameters. I personally don't qt or am sure I believe in it. I have 3 tangs all from different sources and have never had to deal with it, is it luck or a stress free tank, really hard to tell. Unless you are goingbto qt EVERYTHING, fish, corals, lr, or anything wet, then you are not going to keep it out of your tank. Just remember there are NO safe reef ich meds,:
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some Ich facts:

First off, cleaner shrimp will not help, there are only 3 known proven treatments of MI. And ALL must be done in a qt. 1.Copper, instructions must be followed to a T, MUST be done in QT, very hard on the fish, 2.Hypo, to be done correctly it needs to be done with a refractometer, swing arms are to inaccurate and inconsistent, must be down in a qt, may take 4-8 weeks, and a lesser use transfer method, uses a ton of salt rodi and labor. Also DT will need to be fallow (fish less) for 8-10 weeks for MI to die off without a host (fish) to keep it multiplying. There are NO reef safe meds, ick out, ick cure, ick rid or any of the other snake oils out there. Ick outbreaks are caused by stress and any Tang in a small tank will be stressed out, they swim 25 miles or more a day. Also do not do copper and hypo at the same time.
Fish get ich from stress, too small of a tank, too many fish, incompatable tank mates. Or bad unstable parameters. I personally don't qt or am sure I believe in it. Unless you are goingbto qt EVERYTHING, fish, corals, lr, or anything wet, then you are not going to keep it out of your tank. Just remember there are NO safe reef ich meds,:
Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ive had ich - I have tried EVERY SINGLE "reef-safe" medication. They do not work - do not believe them. The Herbatana(sp?), the Kordon reef-safe Prevent Ich, Kick-Ich, etc. all say they are effective, I personally call BS.
The quarantine method works (although for me it always stressed the fish) - but in 6-8 weeks you have an ich-free tank!
The copper works, but you cannot use it on live rock, inverts, etc. - and since one of the stages of the parasite live in the sand - that wont work for a reef tank either.
Hypo-salinity sounds like a good idea, but I never tried it.

As for personal experience, I have had ich, but I gave up on quarantining everyone all the time. I fed the fish a lot of garlic and vitamin soaked food and lots of water changes. I do not suggest this for everyone, and who knows if my method even worked.
But seriously, dont go for the various "reef safe" ich treatments

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

This quote is taken from Treatment Option Part II

"Natural Immunity

"Fish can develop immunity to Cryptocaryon irritans that can last for up to six months (Colorni, 1987 and Colorni & Burgess, 1997). It is this natural immunity that makes evaluating the effectiveness of various treatment options so difficult. How can someone ever be certain that what they dosed to their tank or fed to their fish is what caused the cure they observed? The answer is simple, they can't. Until there are controlled, scientific studies, preferably repeated a few times, we cannot be sure that any of the newer homeopathic or "reef-safe" treatments actually work."

MY COMMENT:
The author is not convinced of the natural or herbal medicine such as Xtreme garlic to boost immune system because obviously he has not applied or experienced it himself. There may be no scientific studies on its effectiveness but I am one of those who have success with it. It is just a matter of doing it right. I did have ich on my Yellow and Blue tangs before I started treating them. Not in weeks but months. The ich just started disappearing after couple of days after application. I do both mixing with food and to water. I even have to apply it twice a day when I still see any of them scratching as the rocks. The key is use the right amount to be effective. You can not overdose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I forgot to mention that it also depends on the severity of the ICH outbreak. If it is impossible to QT all your fish then you have 2 options to make.
1. Just let all the fish die and fallow the tank for 2 months then start all over with fish.
2. Apply Xtreme garlic for 2 months or more until you are convinced the ICH has been irradicated.

I am pretty sure the good choice is #2. Whither it is effective or not at least you tried to save your fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com