Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by leftyfish View Post
If the tangs were added 3 weeks ago, you are not done with ich. If you don't plan on adding anymore fish, and the ones in there don't get anymore outbreaks then you may be okay not to remove them and quarantine, otherwise, if you plan on adding more fish, you will need to eliminate the ich from the system so you don't get outbreaks and fish deaths everytime something goes mildly wrong in the tank. Read up on ich and the lifecycle if you haven't so you know what you are in for if that is what everyone had. Most of all....Good Luck!! That sounds like an awesome tank.

excellent point lefty, I completely missed the boat on that one.

Thanks for throwing that out there, it will make a big difference.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Could the ich be caused by two Tangs in a 90 gallon tank,that could be stressing them out

Space lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Stress does'nt cause ich it lowers the tangs ability to fight it off (ICH loves to hitch a ride on every thing) and yes there stressed in a 4ft tank You'll need to leave the tank fallow for about 8 weeks in order to starve it out.
oddly it seems that the 6 month window is where we start to cut corners with things on our tanks Not saying that your not doing every thing you can just that i see a lot of post that start My tank is 6-9 months old and we have..... And im no better i have a 90 that i set up 7 months ago i came home from work and there Cyano in there
Most people create their own problems by not following the basics and refusing to stock appropriate to their system. Gregcoyote 2013

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
I had the same problems.....all of them. I lost a powder blue, sohai tang, tribal blenny and 2 anthias. I was so frustrated till I went to my lfs. He sold me a bottle of ich attack made by kordon. 100% organic and treats ich, fungus, protozoans, and dinoflagellates. I followed the directions and all my other fish got better and it never came back. It didn't harm my coral or inverts and I even had sps in that tank. Its my understanding that ich is in every tank. Unavoidable but some fish are more tolerant or immune to it. Stress,temp swings, water quality, crowding....there's so many factors. Tangs are extremely common to be ich prone. Probably cuz they get crowded easily.
R33F FeTiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
here is the issues i see first powder brown tang in a 90 gallon tank = stress + the yellow tang = more stress witch makes the fish more prone to getting ich. next you don't need to feed the fish twice a day you can cut that down to every other day just make sure tang has some kind of veggies to eat. you say the water parameters are fine but what are they?

rambler67 is offline   Reply With Quote

bacteria, cyano, cyanobacteria, ich, low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com