Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Ich treatment

How long do u have to treat a tank after an ich out break and is just treating the tank good enough to get rid of the ich do i need to change sand or clean rocks or all the water. My lfs td me id have to take everything out and bleach the tank live rock and everything but that just seems so harsh any help would be great thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

what treatment method? You likely just need to leave your tank fallow for 8 wks.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Im at work and i cant remember the name of the treatment but its some all natural copper free treatment my lfs gave to me to use and whats fallower mean and its only been under treatment for almost 4 weeks now
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I wouldn't bleach live rock, as it won't be live anymore. Garlic isn't a bad ich treatment if you have inverts I used it and it cleared up quickly. Some fish are just prone to it like powder blues and will get it again and again. Leaving the tank fallow is just letting it sit as it is. If there's no fish in there to host the parasite in theory it should just die out, when you put a new fish in put a few drops of garlic oil in when feeding.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ich treatment

Garlic is not a cure to ich, it just stimulates the appetite of the fish. If you've already begun using the the medication I guess just finish it. I personally would never add any medication to my dt (that's what qt is for), and definitely don't add any thing to the tank that you don't have a test kit for.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only 2 methods that work are hypo and copper. Garlic helps your fish's appetite and giving the propero environment will help beedQ
Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ugh, one more time, there are only 3 known proven treatments of MI. And ALL must be done in a qt. 1.Copper, instructions must be followed to a T, MUST be done in QT, very hard on the fish, 2.Hypo, to be done correctly it needs to be done with a refractometer, swing arms are to inaccurate and inconsistent, must be down in a qt, may take 4-8 weeks, and a lesser use transfer method, uses a ton of salt rodi and labor. Also DT will need to be fallow (fish less) for 8-10 weeks for MI to die off without a host (fish) to keep it multiplying. There are NO reef safe meds, ick out, ick cure, ick rid or any of the other snake oils out there. Ick outbreaks are caused by stress. Also do not do copper and hypo at the same time.
Fish get ich from stress, too small of a tank, too many fish, incompatable tank mates. Or bad unstable parameters. I personally don't qt or am sure I believe in it. I have 3 tangs all from different sources and have never had to deal with it, is it luck or a stress free tank, really hard to tell. Unless you are goingbto qt EVERYTHING, fish, corals, lr, or anything wet, then you are not going to keep it out of your tank. Just remember there are NO safe reef ich meds,:
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where can I get garlic oil from!?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #9

Ok than how do i keep my dt fish less when theres fish in it that could possibly be infected but arnt showing symptoms of ich but ive had 4 die from it??? If i move them to another tank than wont they just bring it over there to the other tank?? Than let it die off in the main display than put them back in wont it just bring it back in there? Just seems like its and never ending thing and all the fish need to die for it to go away?? I cant treat my main display bc of my cleaner shrimp so im lost on how to cure this and how to save my fish
Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You catch the fish and transfer them to a qt tank, treat them with an ich medication (follow the directions exactly) and after you leave the tank fallow for 8-10 weeks transfer the fish back to the dt

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com