Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Squado, what kind of filter are you using? Anything that contains sponges/bio wheel or balls can possibly produce nitrates. Keep rolling with the punches! You'll come out of it more knowledgable and be able to help others in the future!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now I am using the filter that came with the tank (marineland eclipse). I took the bio wheel out over a week ago and nothing has changed with the nitrates. I am thinking about taking out the pad as well as I really dont see it being needed at this point, I think I have enough lr to do the filtration (im just worried about mechanical filtration). I do not mind putting in the time and effort to fix problems, but I cant seem to fix any.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Try a 20% PWC this weekend and next. I would think the cyano should have stalled by now. Is more growing, or has it stopped?

Quote:
I am thinking about taking out the pad
I'm sorry, I'm not fimilliar with that filter. Is the pad a sponge or carbon?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its a pad with carbon in it and a bio wheel. Right now my blue green cyano is starting to disapate (using utralife), but my red cyano is spreading. I also have a hair algae problem which seems to be going away with the help of the tang. I have the large aquafuge coming in Aug 1st and I dont know whether I should start treamtents now or until I get it. When I do hook it up would it upset some of the treatments that I am using. My last and final question, I am currently going to be doing a lot of dosing to help some of theses problems as I can not get rid of them naturally. What products can be used together and should I do them all at once to in seperate intervals. They are ultralife blue green control, chemi clean cyano removal, and kick ich? I am losing it!!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

You may have enough/close to enough of LR to possibly remove the bio wheel. That should help the algae problem, natrually. I woudl check with some others, to get the "OK".

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Removing the biowheels will not lower your NO3 level but will stop it from increase. You have to perform some WC's, use NO3 sponges, or add macroalgae (fuge) to remove/reduce the exisiting NO3.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Your best bet and the only thing that actualy works in my opinion is cuprimine from seachem.Do your self a favor catch those fish,even if you have to rip the whole tank apart get those fish out.Treat with cuprimine 1 cc per 10 gallons the first night repat 48 hours later.Leave fish for 2 weeks.They say you can only get rid of the ich if you leave the tank fish free for 6 weeks.I know this is not what you want to do.I have tied every thing in the book when I first started.I had 2 have a cowfish and they are ich prone this is the only method that has ever worked.Hope this helps.You can even look the product up it is good stuff.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you saying add cuprimine to the main or getting a qt for them?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
Are you saying add cuprimine to the main or getting a qt for them?
Im pretty sure he said QT them then add suprimine to the QT tank
Old 07-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

i think i just got ich too.

wondering if it would be eaiser to move the corals to the QT and doing hypo in the main tank....ohh but light...ok that wont work.

this sucks...i cant catch all these fish without removing all the rock....ughhh!

anyone ever hear of using ozone...my lfs mentioned it when i was thinking of a tang...but now my angel has it...only about 20 spots or so. all the other fish are clean.

Tags
eat, ich, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com