ick and coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish in my 14 gallon biocube have ick, it's just a damsel and a couple gobies.
What can I do to treat this?
I have some soft coral in the tank and I know that most copper based Meds would hurt them.
I heard something about feeding them garlic?

Really, the best option is a hospital tank. There are very few options with ich. First option is Reef Safe ich meds. Second option is ich meds that actually work - but will kill the corals. You could try hyposalinity, but that might damage the corals, too.
Really, you want the sick fish isolated from other livestock for treatment. Wish there was a better option for you.

Hospital tank isn't really an option at the time.

Cycle fish are cycle fish.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Cycle fish are cycle fish."
Maybe someone else can jump in and suggest something, but what I told you is about all I know on the subject.

There's nothing you can do in that tank. You'll have to move them to a QT tank for hyposalinity treatment, which is the least harsh, or a copper based med.
There is debate about the effect of garlic on the immune systems of fish. I have read that there is no medicinal effect.

What I ment by "cycle fish are cycle fish"
Is that if they die off from the ick I won't really be taking a large loss.

Well "cycle fish are cycle fish" pertains to the fact he's torturing these fish to begin his cycle. And ick is one of the results of the torture.

The ich is present in the tank. Whether the fish live or die may not matter but those damsels may torture any new additions, which in turn will cause them to break out in something like ich or similar, and then you'll have the same problem, but with more expensive fish.

I'm going to get rid of the damsel ethier way.
When I put the two gobies in he chased them everywhere, the watchmen swam into the filter (I foun him later and put him bck into the main tank)
The other has been hiding for the last while.
I noticed when I saw the one that's been hiding and he had really bad ick.

Back
Top Bottom