Ick Medication Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of fish with ick in my main tank, (55gal, Wet Dry, CPR BackPack Skimmer, thin sand bad, 45lbs of LR, Linkea Star, Serpent Star, Emerald Crab, Horseshoe Crab, Button Polyps, Mushroom Polyps, Snails, Hermits Probably more stuff im missing) including an Eel. I tried moving them (the fish) to a QT for treatment with Cupramine, but i set that tank up in a hurry and it didnt have time to astablish itself and i found my self causing more harm than good because i could not stay on top of the Amonia spikes in the tank. I moved my fish back into my main tank were now i have one fish that is struggling for life (Harlequin Tuskfish) and another that still showing signs of ick on his skin (Purple Tang). I am about to order Marine Ecolibrium No-Ich to try and attack this in my main tank, has anyone had any success with this product?

As you will see there are many different opinions on this topic. The method I use for minor outbreaks of Ich is Garlic X-tra from Kent. This is not a medication I use it as a preventive measure. For larger bouts of Ich which I am going through know with my White Cheek Tang I use Kick-Ich from Ruby Reef. I also have a UV sterilizer running at a slow flow to assist in eradicating parasites. I also dose my tanks weekly with Garlic-Xtra weekly to help keep the Ich away.

Good Luck
John

Try driving it up to 84 for a week or so... I would not use any additives in the main tank no matter if it says it is safe or not. If it says it is, and it truely isn't, Then there is a very long turn around time to get the tank back in order. If it is ICH that you are fighting, Try the 84* and maybe a quick FW dip in RO water with a small amount of tank water to just give a hint of SW. Let the fich stay in no more than 15 min and you have to never leave their side, it will go crazy at first but then settle down. Watch close because this is when you cannot leave,, just watch and watch and if it gets ancy, go ahead and put it back in the tank. I know it sounds harsh, but it works. I have had two fish now live well afterwards and no ICH. Now if they have something else, I would treat them in the QT again and use the water from the main tank to fill it. Then treat with the product you are talking about using. This will ensure that you do not poison the main tank...

Addition, the Garlic is good, and I do use a UV light 24X7. I have not had the first outbreak since I started keeping my tanks at 82 - 84*. I don't use Garlic, and I dont use Copper anymore because I could not get it to work.. I believe in the upper temps and FW dips. Works for me

I'm looking into a UV myself, for a preventative measure. But right now, i have an outbreak!. I need to kill these little buggers before they kill my beloved fish.

OK...Its done. I order it. I should have it in a couple of days. I'll keep posting my progress with this product. Wish me luck 0X

Temps in a SW environment will only increase the reproductive rate but will do nothing to actually stem the infestation. You should also be wary of only treating the fish's symptoms and not treating the parasites that will be in the water column and most likely the reproductive cycsts already in the tank. That can only be accomplished by treatment of the main tank or by leaving it fallow for 4-6 weeks. Treating the main tank is always risky and not advisable.

I have used Ecolibrium myself with success. Although it was only one time I have no reason to suggest you not use it but at the same time cannot endorse it based on a one time treatment. I have heard 50/50 repsonses from others on the Fish-Vet product but that again greatly depends on how well the med was administered.

All in all, the best method is still a QT environment treating with either hyposalinity or copper. I hope you have success with the Ecolibrium but it would not be my first suggestion.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom