ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I attempted to post a pic. But it says I reached my quota? Don't know how to fix that. But it's a pink/clear tube like work. Dug itself into the sand. About 1.5 inches long.

Not sure about the quota issue. Maybe you've posted too many pics to your albums? You can embed a pic from another site.(Photobucket etc). Is it a common bristle?

Alright, figured out the picture issue. The first pic is the see threw pink worm. The second pic is of a blue worm (read bristleworms were red). The third pic is of a coral/plant (seller said it was a feather duster, but it doesn't look like online pics and doesn't move when I touch it). It does move around the tank. And the final pic is a snail I don't know what kind. Please help with IDs! :)

Sorry for the pic, led + camera=fail :)

Bristle worm, aiptasia, aiptasia, nassarius snail

Second pic didn't see the worm sorry but also a bristle worm

They are very bad for corals and once you have a large outbreak they can be a bit difficult to get rid of..if I were you I would he going back to speak to the lfs for selling you a nuisance anemone as a featherduster..but to get rid of them you can use aiptasiaX or inject them with either lemon juice or boiling water..peppermint shrimp I believe eat them also but only when the aiptasia is small not once they are the size of some of yours :/

Yes buy a couple peppermint shrimp and they will take care of it or you can buy something called aiptasia-x but I have heard that it doesn't work as well, an no corals can sting a human, well they do but you don't feel it

Oh yeah I didn't think about size! Yeah or you can find a foot long peppermint shrimp! ;)

armyman16 said:
Yes buy a couple peppermint shrimp and they will take care of it or you can buy something called aiptasia-x but I have heard that it doesn't work as well, an no corals can sting a human, well they do but you don't feel it

Not true zoanthids must be handle with gloves or a bag they can inflict a decent sting and some (none in the aquarium world that I know of) actually contain one of the most potent poisons known

Little info on it-- Contrary to common belief, palytoxin can be absorbed through intact skin. [16] The danger of acute poisoning from venomous zoanthids is quite real. An aquarist was poisoned through skin injuries on fingers by a Parazoanthus species, but recovered after 3 days. His zoanthid was found to contain 2-3 milligram of palytoxin per gram. [17] For comparison, the intravenous LD50 dose of palytoxin for a grown man is less than 8 microgram. Thus each gram of the offending zoanthid contained enough venom to kill at least 125 grown men.

Lol, wouldn't mind a foot long shrimp (don't even know how big they get). I have about 10 large ones, gotta recount because they move around the tank. I will defiantly hold on any corals. Maybe try to kill them and get the shrimp to assist with the littles. Think the chemical would harm my snail? Also I was going to get two clowns today (first fish). Should I wait?

I bought this off Craigslist, the lfs told the lady they were feather dusters. It's a 28 nano-601-led professional.

Mrc8858 said:
Little info on it-- Contrary to common belief, palytoxin can be absorbed through intact skin. [16] The danger of acute poisoning from venomous zoanthids is quite real. An aquarist was poisoned through skin injuries on fingers by a Parazoanthus species, but recovered after 3 days. His zoanthid was found to contain 2-3 milligram of palytoxin per gram. [17] For comparison, the intravenous LD50 dose of palytoxin for a grown man is less than 8 microgram. Thus each gram of the offending zoanthid contained enough venom to kill at least 125 grown men.

That is insane! I'm taking notes!

I never had much luck with peppermints and aiptasias. :-( Even with little tiny ones mine never touched it. Even bought peppermints from 4 different places including online and none ate it. I've had moderate to good luck with the aipastia X, you just have to shut down the tanks flow and really really be careful to get them. They can squirt out spores i guess you'd call them and then you'll have 100 more. So take your time and get them all before they get out of hand.

You can also take the rock out that they are on and nuke them with a torch lighter thingee, that's supposed to work as well.

Good luck

Unfortunately, they are on every piece of live rock in the tank. I don't want to destroy the tank before I ever got it going... Ugh. There seems to be allot of little ones 1/8 inch in size. But some of them are the size of my palm lol. I'm going to try the Chem and boil method together. Guess this means no fish yet. Ugh x2. I would say they are out of hand with 10-12 large and maybe 30 smalls. That and there is a ton of bristleworms. When I took the rock out to move it. I grab about 25 of them inch long. Only imagine what's in the rocks. I don't mind them, would prefer not to have them. But let's kill these anemones first.

Yep, the nems should be taken care of first. Bristle worms are actually a good clean up crew member. :) Overfeeding is the main way they multiply so quickly so if you cut back on the food the worms should slowly shrink in numbers. :)

carey said:
Yep, the nems should be taken care of first. Bristle worms are actually a good clean up crew member. :) Overfeeding is the main way they multiply so quickly so if you cut back on the food the worms should slowly shrink in numbers. :)

Cool, haven't even put any food in the tank. I've had it 48 ours. Good advice.

So about that torch method. If I burnt off the big guys. Would that kill the live rock completely? I mean, it's not like I'm going to completely target the rock, just the aiptasia. Reason I ask is I am worried the tank would try to cycle after words. I can get a hand held torch. Always wanted one to fulfill my inner pyro!

If the rock is out of the tank for only a few minutes it should be fine. The longer the rock is out of the water though then the more die off you will have from that which in turn produces ammonia. ( which if youre cycled should be eaten and converted by the beneficial bacteria) if in modest amounts.

This is your chance to pyro something, so have fun with it and get those nasty buggers. You might also wanna dip the rock in some salt water after the torching to make sure there aren't any remains of the nem left to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom