I'd like some opinions on Electric Flame Scallops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coltonwsmith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm considering an electric flame, but before I purchase I want feedback from those of you who have owned and taken care of them, whether successful or not, as well as why you were or were not able to keep them.
Very beautiful and mesmerizing creatures.

Not to be a debbie downer but I've never heard of anyone keeping these alive very long. They take a lot of filter feeding and it just causes issues in your tank. My LFS didn't even want to sell me one the first time I saw one. They say it's just watching your money die...lol

They are really cool though.

Good to know. My lfs suggested spot feeding. I'm curious to hear stories from those who've kept them alive.

I've always wanted one of these guys. The problem is, the 'success' stories are few and far between. Besides the issue of them being non-photosynthetic and requiring daily spot feedings, one of the thoughts I have read about regarding their abysmal life expectancy in the home aquarium is that they just don't have that much life left in them when they come into the market. An good length these guys have been kept from what I've read is about 6 months at best. Tie that in with the fact they'll find a spot where THEY are happy in your tank...makes this a no go on my end. Even if I could keep it alive for a year, which I don't believe possible, what would happen if it moved to the back of the tank where it couldn't be spot fed? It'd starve AND you wouldn't ever see it.

Its one of those things that is better left in the ocean. They look nice but they don't last long. I had one a while back and the fish ate it in no time at all.

Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep the flame scallops on my "observe only" list.

I actually work at this lfs, and will be taking those guys into my care to try and prevent a sad hungry death...Hank, what do you think I should feed them?

Back
Top Bottom