Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fill the hole/crevice with kalk paste or glue so it can't get out. It will eventually die unless it has another way out.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Fill the hole/crevice with kalk paste or glue so it can't get out. It will eventually die unless it has another way out.
That's a creative and potentially very satisfying solution. I have a feeling I'll enjoy doing this and might even start hunting for more of these guys. Thanks Dav3!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I have the same thing. Only out when lights are off. No one could positively ID. Aiptasia is only response I got.

From my searches online the closest I could get is stripped bead anemone. And there is little info on those. Certainly doesn't behave like any aiptasia I'm aware of.
Dav3, this article on tube anemones might be of some interest: On the Captive Biology of Tube Anemones — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog.

Looks like our critter may be similar to the banded tube anemone pictured in the article. Lucikly, the article suggests that the stings of tube anemones are not as potent as many think, and may even be weaker than those of aiptasia.

Here are some other relevant portions of the article:

"Tube anemones are distinguished by having two distinct whorls of tentacles. Each whorl consists of a different type of tentacle."

"As adults, cerianthids dwell in a long, soft tube. The tube is constructed from specialized cnidae threads (or, ptychocysts) and mucus, though it may incorporate other materials such as sand. The outside texture of the tube is much like slimy, wet shreds of paper; the inside texture is rather slick and smooth. The tube is typically buried in mud, sand or gravel, though it may be wedged into or between rocks. It may be much greater in length than the anemone itself (>2.0 m long). The tentacular crown emerges from the distal end of the tube; however, if it is threatened, the animal can very quickly retreat beneath the substrate into the bottom of the tube."

Let me know if you or anyone else have any thoughts!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is possible. Though I'm pretty sure mine has an oral disc which tube anemones do not. I would need to get a closer examination of mine. Sitting in the sump that gets no light it is out 24/7 so I should be able to take another look soon.

Tags
anemone, creature, eat, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com