Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
in 2 different bottles. it's not an all in one supplement if it's in 2 bottles.
I know it comes in two separate bottles,I just meant it is designed to dose equal amounts from each bottle and is sold as a pack.Simpler for beginners.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
that's the first time i have ever heard of an all-in-one supplement that contains both calcium and alk. From what i understand, it's not possible to do this.
Your LFS is giving you bad information. you could do regular water changes and achieve the same result.
if you don't have a tank full of corals, i don't see how you could be using that much calcium and alk to be dosing daily.

also, the API calcium test kit is very inaccurate.
He is right, chemically this doesn't work. It is probably mostly a calcium supplement. I use B-Ionic and a two channel dosing pump. I also dose Kalkwasser for the past 20 years to great success. That's all I add...period. Use to add iodine, nothing changed, added magnesium, nothing changed. Occasionally I try some amino acids I soak the food in, but not even sure if that does anything. I also have a large algae scrubber, which I have been told can also impact the levels of different things in the water, but with water changes every two weeks, never has been an issue.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Your salt mix contains enough idoine for your inverts, nine molt regularly with no dosing.

With that many corals I'm not sure dosing is even necessary. But good luck with trying different things
I use RO/DI water. Are you saying there's iodine in that? What all is in it? Also, what is RO/DI water? My understanding is that RO Is depleted water that is then pretty much made to closely resemble natural sea water, and DI water is just depleted freshwater mainly used for top-offs. I'm probably wrong, feel free to correct me!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No, there iodine and other trace elements in your mixed salt water that you use for water changes.

Ro/di water is clarified regular water. It just runs thorugh filters to take out all the bad things
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Reverse Osmosis (RO) is a type of filter that slowly produces water without anything in it except some minerals. The the DI is a ionization filter that then removes the minerals. You end up with pretty much nothing but H2O. It is the kind of water they use to shield nuclear reactors! That is your top off water and the water you mix your salt with for water exchanges.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry, MrX, you had it covered.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I personally think that buying a combination of additives is wrong, and the LFS said it was not wise. I went to the cheepe failure

MyJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i.d, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com