Id this sps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what it is, but I have 2 colonies and had them under different lighting. High light is what that coral likes best. It's a wild colony btw. Good luck with it.
It's thicker than a bonsai.

Wow what timing, I was just given a super brown colony of this by someone who had crappy lights. I have 2 tanks, one with really high light and one with les but still good LEDs. Mr X would this do better under intense LED's or should i let it color up under less intense?

I just don't know the intensity of your LEDs to be able to tell you which tank is better for it, but if i had to guess, I would say to start it low in the higher light tank and move it up gradually until you see it respond.

I placed this directly up top with my Taos at 65% white and it instantly started to color up and green polyps popping every where. But at night with lights off I shine a flashlight on it and its white and brown. Just the tips are purple.

Looks almost like acropora but I can't tell with the screen on my phone

It was a deep purple last night!! It looked awesome!! With neon green polyps its grown lil less than a 1/4 inch already in 3 weeks .. :)

Just talked to the guy I got it from. And he said its a Garfs bonsai ..

It's not a garf bonsai. It's a wild colony with branches much thicker than a bonsai. Is it on a rock/concrete glob with some strings coming off of it? This is an indication that it's a wild piece.

It's on a concrete looking circle that has all kinds of stuff growing on it. It has a green thin tube growing along with red and green macro. And looks like a corraline flakey substance.. The other one I found similar is a copps bonsai ..

Bonsai is a name that folks in the hobby gave to corals to up the value. Your ordinary marine biologist would refer to this coral as such. Here is one of mine.
img_2557049_0_fcd4b924dd9979a64940fd5db1342b73.jpg

...and here is a "garf bonsai" that I used to have a few years back-
img_2557049_1_bf3c9e199356420ddfdd31e3934c8037.jpg

It could be the flow in the ocean V.S. the tank, but notice the different growth patterns..
I have emailed the supplier I got these from. Maybe she can help with a positive I.D.

Ya. Your first pic looks very close to mine. But yours has much more color

Oh ok. I want to try a top down pic.. Need to stop the agitation at the surface tho

Back
Top Bottom