Idea ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 60 gal tank with an built-in wet/dry skimmer deal on the back.... I was thinking of using my old HOB/trickle penguin filter to hang onto the wet/dry part and use it to store extra LR or macro algae for added filtering....

Sound like it would work??? Would it be worth it ????

Dunno....... but I mean basically it can be used as a refugium....... and is a WHOLE lot cheaper than those plexiglass one's they sell...... I've set it up... it's working pretty good.... going to need to get some stuff to fill it with though..

The more I think about this the better it sounds.... Why couldn't I get the largest HOB filter I can find and mount it like this to make a refugium???????

Speaking of which...... what is the largest capacity HOB filter you can think of ??

one of the aquaclears? Don't know if they're the biggest, but they're flexible in the media placement which is probably what you want... I don't think you're going to get much surface area for sand from a HOB though.

Well I've got two old Penguin 330's.... the one's that fit two bio-wheels.... I've removed all the filter media etc.... and the wheels and have them placed on the back.... The flow seems to be alright.... I think what I'll do it use one for macro and the other for a little extra LR (bacteria)....

I suppose it will help more than hurt....... and who knows... maybe a few pods will call it home eventually...... will probably put a little sand in each.......

I use a old whisper HOB filter as a refugium for my 10 gal nano. The idea is a good one just as long as it is big enough in relation to the tank. The Aquaclear models have a wide body on them so if they had one big enough, that would work. I guess a small one woul work ok for a pod haven.

Yeah I think I'm going to load one up with cheato algae and the other with LR.... couldn't hurt.......

Back
Top Bottom