Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright guys, I'm now adding to my 29g BioCube and getting an 8g (mainly because the woman a.k.a. the boss wants one). I am not entirely sure what to do with it. Should I do FOWLR, should I do just reef with maybe one or two fish, should I do just inverts...???? Let me know what you think. Also, she is dying for seahorses (her favorite animal) and wants them in there. I know they are extremely difficult to take care of but does anyone have them? If so, is the 8g suitable for one or two?

Thanks ahead!!
:bowl:

Pretty sure the 8G is not enough for sea horses. Almost everywhere i read says seahorses need a 50G tank or larger because they are very slow swimmers but need alot of space to swim. I think the one sea horse that can live in a minimal of 30G's is Black seahorse. But thats as low as they go. Plus they are crazy hard to take care of. Usually species only tanks.. or with SLOW eaters because they are slow as molasses

As for the 8G thingy, i would say go with LR only. Or maybe make it reef with like colonies of some cool zoas or something. That would be pretty cool. Alot of colors but enough room for some small fish. Or inverts ;)

Yeah, I pretty much know that about the seahorses, I just need some evidence from the outside to give her as to why I cant start a seahorse tank for her just yet, lol =)

Just be like.. they will die. lol. Then see what she says. j/k j/k dont say that. So then, what did you want people to tell you if you already knew that about the searhorses?

Oh, but i was talking about the sea horse? what did you want people to tell you so you can tell your daughter? If you already knew that you couldnt keep them in the 8G then why did you ask about them? Just for my own curiosity :D Not calling you out or anything. :)

I have a friend that breeds seahorse's for a Living and I can tell you right now that a 8G or 29G will not work. Unless you have a 29G Tall you might be able to get away with it, but i would go with something of a Hex shape to house them. Seahorse need a lot of care and living space, they also do well if your feeding Live brine or Rotifers... They are a very slow moving animl but they are cool to have. If you need any more info go here

Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Home

I had a Biocube 8 going for a while, and ended up keeping a hi fin banded goby in there. Clown goby would also be a good choice. Mine was a softie reef with a small frogspawn. Here's a pic.
img_1010013_0_4450caf194728a0d41a48e18019b89e8.jpg

Remember too that seahorses really need to be the only thing in the tank as far as fish. If they have fish they will not get to eat as the fish will outcompete the seahorses for food. I had seahorses in a 29 gallon tank for awhile. You could also think about dwarf seahorses. Another thing you need to think about seahorses is that the water temp needs to be around 72-74.

Remember too that seahorses really need to be the only thing in the tank as far as fish. If they have fish they will not get to eat as the fish will outcompete the seahorses for food. I had seahorses in a 29 gallon tank for awhile. You could also think about dwarf seahorses. Another thing you need to think about seahorses is that the water temp needs to be around 72-74.

melosu, I talked to an LFS (not my normal LFS) about seahorses because he had them in stock and he told me that the 8g biocube would be suitable for the dwarf ones. he said 1 pair would do ok in the 8g and as long as they are alone. I would be able to have some LR and maybe some soft corals and thats about it. I did read that they need low water temps. any other advice?

Back
Top Bottom