Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question Ideas

Alright guys, I'm now adding to my 29g BioCube and getting an 8g (mainly because the woman a.k.a. the boss wants one). I am not entirely sure what to do with it. Should I do FOWLR, should I do just reef with maybe one or two fish, should I do just inverts...???? Let me know what you think. Also, she is dying for seahorses (her favorite animal) and wants them in there. I know they are extremely difficult to take care of but does anyone have them? If so, is the 8g suitable for one or two?

Thanks ahead!!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
is back to save the day!

Pretty sure the 8G is not enough for sea horses. Almost everywhere i read says seahorses need a 50G tank or larger because they are very slow swimmers but need alot of space to swim. I think the one sea horse that can live in a minimal of 30G's is Black seahorse. But thats as low as they go. Plus they are crazy hard to take care of. Usually species only tanks.. or with SLOW eaters because they are slow as molasses

As for the 8G thingy, i would say go with LR only. Or maybe make it reef with like colonies of some cool zoas or something. That would be pretty cool. Alot of colors but enough room for some small fish. Or inverts

Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I pretty much know that about the seahorses, I just need some evidence from the outside to give her as to why I cant start a seahorse tank for her just yet, lol =)
Old 08-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
is back to save the day!

Just be like.. they will die. lol. Then see what she says. j/k j/k dont say that. So then, what did you want people to tell you if you already knew that about the searhorses?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Just be like.. they will die. lol. Then see what she says. j/k j/k dont say that. So then, what did you want people to tell you if you already knew that about the searhorses?
Well Im not an expert but also, I wanted ideas on what to do with the 8g tank.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
is back to save the day!

Oh, but i was talking about the sea horse? what did you want people to tell you so you can tell your daughter? If you already knew that you couldnt keep them in the 8G then why did you ask about them? Just for my own curiosity Not calling you out or anything.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Just be like.. they will die. lol.

ROFL Quite blunt if I do say so myself. xDD

*dreams shot down*

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I have a friend that breeds seahorse's for a Living and I can tell you right now that a 8G or 29G will not work. Unless you have a 29G Tall you might be able to get away with it, but i would go with something of a Hex shape to house them. Seahorse need a lot of care and living space, they also do well if your feeding Live brine or Rotifers... They are a very slow moving animl but they are cool to have. If you need any more info go here

Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Home
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a Biocube 8 going for a while, and ended up keeping a hi fin banded goby in there. Clown goby would also be a good choice. Mine was a softie reef with a small frogspawn. Here's a pic.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Remember too that seahorses really need to be the only thing in the tank as far as fish. If they have fish they will not get to eat as the fish will outcompete the seahorses for food. I had seahorses in a 29 gallon tank for awhile. You could also think about dwarf seahorses. Another thing you need to think about seahorses is that the water temp needs to be around 72-74.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com