Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2004, 04:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Ideas for new tankmate for Lionfish/Dogface Puffer

We just bought a 150gal tank to move up to. We had a Lionfish, Dogface Puffer, and Panther Grouper that are all about 2 years old. The Grouper has been ill for some time and finally expired today, just as we were ready to move them into the new tank :sigh:

Now we have the Lionfish and Dogface Puffer in the new 150 with 120lbs of live sand and 150lbs of live rock. I am looking for suggestions on what other fish might be compatible with these two. They are both around 6-7inches long. I would prefer an active fish like the puffer, because my grouper always just hid in the cave or behind the rocks and the lion is moves in slow motion, and while very beautiful I would love to see more activity in this new huge swimming pool in our living room!

75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
150gal SW: Dogface Puffer, Lunar Wrasse, Miniatus Grouper, Blue Jaw Trigger
contactpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know if you ever heard of this fish but it is called a red bigeye. They have one at my LFS but that was the only one I ever saw. It was about 4 in. and it was red and had big eyes obviously. It ate a feeder gold fish about 2 in. long. I would look into it. It is the uglyiest fish but it is so cool looking at the same time. If I had a bigger tank I would definately have one but I don't. Maybe someone on here has seen one but I will look for a picture of it and post the site if I do.

flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here I found one at liveaquaria they are so cool looking even better in a aquarium. Check it out maybe your LFS can get one for you if you don't wanna buy it online that is if you even like it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=21&pCatId=315
Old 06-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
That fella makes my frogfish look attractive!!
Old 06-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Isn't he cool looking!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to ddcboys
Try A bigger Trigger prob a clown Very good cool contrast.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will keep both those fish in mind, but I'm open to more suggestions as well. I was thinking of a trigger actually.... Keeping in mind that my current fish are around 7in long, how big would a new fish have to be to be safe? They have never had a smaller tank mate and I don't feed live fish so I have no idea how large a fish they might go after.

All I feed them now is the large orange frozen krill. I'd like to add fish that have a similar diet. Also, should I be incorporating any other foods into their diet?
75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok I just read that the Clown Trigger can grow to 20inches, and I am not sure I want anything that large. So I'm considering the Picasso Trigger... anyone have an opinion on the combatibility of this fish with my current fish?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I have a picasso with a Lion and a couple of puffers and they get along just fine. The problem with the picasso is they can be mean little buggers and they like to decorate the tank to their satisfaction. If a trigger is to your liking I would recommend a Niger. They are much more docile.

IMO You should vary the diet more as well, just feeding Krill wont give them everything they need.

HTH
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok I'll look into the Niger... how exactly does the picasso decorate to their satisfaction? You mean they can move the rocks? Also what suggestions do you have for varying the diet?

Tags
lionfish, puffer, tan, tankmate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com