Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I usually throw in a half a cube of frozen,
That doesne't work well for some. That water its frozen in can contain phosphates and cause algae outbreaks I believe.

A 'fuge" is an additonal filtration that absorbs excess nutrients 'cause it's usually loaded with rock, sand, plants (mangroves), macro algaes, etc.

Google on it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Brad read this for refugium

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=33

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Quote:
I usually throw in a half a cube of frozen,
That doesne't work well for some. That water its frozen in can contain phosphates and cause algae outbreaks I believe.
This is true you don't want to throw the whole thing in. Thaw it out, pat it dry if you want then feed it to the fish. I put mine in a cup, let it thaw, and then scoop it with my finger while pressing it on the side of the cup to get the water out. Works fine for me.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that your feeding technique is likely the cause of your NO3 issue (although at 10ppm, it is not too bad). The "juice" produced when the food is thawed is very high in NO3 and PO4. Get yourself a fine mesh brine shrimp net from the LFS and thaw your food in that, rinse it well with RO/DI water so it is clean. One feeding every other day is plenty for most community tanks. It is also a good idea to soak the thawed food in dietary suppliments like Selcon or Vita-chem for a few minutes prior to adding it to the tank.

Making sure your source water is free of NO3 will also help. If you are not using RO/DI water for top-offs and water changes it is a good thing to look into. I also recommend getting another NO3 test kit and doing a comparison.

Tags
modify, reef, reef aquarium, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com