Identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floridagat0r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. New to the forum.

I have a 24 gallon nanocube about a year and a half. I have 2 clowns, 1 blue tang and a condy anemone. I have been noticing these show up and grow. Most aren't much larger than a pencile eraser. To me they appear to be small anemones with bright, pink bodies and white bubble tips. I realize there are endless creatures it could be, but was hoping someone could identify it. They have been multiplying and have about a dozen throughout tank.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photobucket-23081-1372627330964_zpsac4cc3b0.jpg
    photobucket-23081-1372627330964_zpsac4cc3b0.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 114
Kind of looks like a Strawberry Anemone.
But, Strawberries are a cold water species so...

They are a type of majano I believe. A pest anemone but it seems you have gotten a very pretty one.

Multiplying throughout the whole tank - or just on one rock? How fast are they multiplying?

I think it is beautiful - even if it is a pest, as long as it wasn't growing at like 5 a month, I would leave it.

Want to frag a piece off and send it this way?

It's a corynactis. The type we see in our tanks are harmless. It's not going to give you any trouble.

Are there available for purchase anywhere? They are beautiful.

No. They don't seem to last that long. You'll see them pop up occasionally, spread a bit perhaps, then suddenly disappear. They are very small also. There is a larger version that can be seen in the ocean that might be a better choice, except it will eat your fish given the chance.

LOL..I didn't catch that. Yikes!
yikes indeed, not many realise that an adult will easily hit 12" long, they just want a dory and the info thrown around that a fish will onyl get as big as the tank its in make for poor choices and an unhealth un happy ecosystem

Sorry to say you are right on. The LFS should be smacked for telling anyone a blue tang could be kept in a nano. I won't pile on, but there is trouble on the horizon.

Thanks for the suggestion on the strawberry anemone. There are approximately a half dozen each on two rocks. I'm just not sure how they would have been introduced to the tank. Aside from hermit crabs, I haven't introduced anything new to the tank. I have more concern about keeping the ever spreading brittle star population under control.

As far as the tang is concerned, my shop did not educate me at all at the time of purchase. I have had no problems with the tang (to this point), but would like to eventually move up to a larger tank.

Thanks for the suggestion on the strawberry anemone. There are approximately a half dozen each on two rocks. I'm just not sure how they would have been introduced to the tank. Aside from hermit crabs, I haven't introduced anything new to the tank. I have more concern about keeping the ever spreading brittle star population under control.

As far as the tang is concerned, my shop did not educate me at all at the time of purchase. I have had no problems with the tang (to this point), but would like to eventually move up to a larger tank.

Your tang will deeply appreciate that as they grow amazingly fast.

Back
Top Bottom