Identify this coral. Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chireaux

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fowlr tank. I was given a soft coral yesterday and it seems to be dying. What do I need to do as far as feeding and keeping it alive. Coral food?
I have 4 t5s btw.

Attachments

• image-1407708071.jpg
    image-1407708071.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 242
you need quality water conditions. that coral looks like it needs some good loving or its going to die.

corals can feed off the water but they can also be direct fed. that beign said that looks liek its in rough shape and probably won't end up eating, and if it does it might be spat back out

My water conditions are good. Is it maybe not getting enough light at the bottom of tank. If so how do I attach to rock.

Chireaux said:
My water conditions are good. Is it maybe not getting enough light at the bottom of tank. If so how do I attach to rock.

Edit. My amm nitrates nitrites are good, don't know about calcium etc...

It is a xenia and is very unhappy. Try not to move it for a day or two, if it has been in the air it might take a few days to start showing improvement. Is that diatoms or cyano? Seems more red than the diatoms I have had in my tanks.

My amm is 0 nitrite 0, nitrate is less than 5. SG 1.023, ph 8.2... like I said these are the only parameters I have checked for. I dont know why I have diatoms other than its a new tank. Most of the ditaoms cleared up but came back after I got rid of about 50 snails. So your saying you cant have good parameters and still have the presence of diatoms???

I attached the xenia to the top pf a rock with a tooth pick and rubberband. hopefully he makes it. Any other suggestions.

Diatoms are fueled by excess nutrients. All I know is as my tank established, with no real effective clean up crew (24g with 4 hermits and 4 nassarius) has had diatoms off over time. Phosphates can fuel diatoms as well so check for that. And when you say you used a tooth pick...you didn't stab it of course right lol

Are you kidding, I wasn't supposed to stab it. Oops... fortunately I have 2 frags of it and only "stabbed" one. I thought I read that you can attach them that way.

i have a single grazing snail in my 26g and a single electric blue legged hermit crab, never had an outbreak in any aglae as of yet, and i don't remember having diatoms either

Back
Top Bottom