Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sweet. I was right. Thanks for the input, folks. I'm kinda with mr_X on the height issue--2 feet is good. My arms are right at about that long *lol*. Plus, if I start making the gallons climb, I'm going to get growled at.

Cost is one of those things that I considered, but it's doable. It's just going to be a very, very slow build, as I intend to get the final product I want to use the first time rather than trying to save a bit and having to buy a new one, so it'll be a while before I'm even ready for live rock, much less fish. I'm patient. Gives me more time to look at options for stock, corals, and aquascape ideas.

Still not sure what I want to stock other than clownfish and the royal blue tang, but thinking banggai cardinals, maybe some chromis, some sort of goby, some sort of blenny, some sort of wrasse... and a lot of mushroom and leather corals and pulsing xenia *lol* Nothing too hard. Maybe some Kenya tree and brain coral after I get some experience under my belt. We shall see. I keep looking at the mandarinfish and considering one of them for a few years down the road, too.

On the plus side, I did get permission to put in the 180 today, and we know where it's going. Just means the 55 gallon and the 46 gallon need to do some moving around, since the non-fishy people have issues with having two tanks in one room. But yay! I can start making solid plans, now.

55g planted goldfish and dojo loach tank
46g & 29g planted tropical community tank
10g planted something tank...still deciding
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
A 180 is an excellent tank for a reef. I would not go taller because after all, you'll have your arms in it on a fairly regular basis and you will want to be able to reach the bottom easily. Even if you went with a 90, I would suggest a 75 instead, simply because all you are losing is a few inches of height, which means little to livestock and a lot to you, when your snail or coral frag is upside down on the sand bed
+1 on not going full height! On my 90g I have to go all the way to my armpit to reach the substrate. I'm still happy with it though

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
My hippo is at 8" and still growing fast. Tangs need room, so I would go with 6' long minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gregcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote

big, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com