if i have a water softener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not the same as using RO/DI. I wouldn't recommend Tap water (even softened) unless you want to deal with lots of algae issues.

A water softener uses a different type of salt to soften the water....it does not purify the water...

RO/DI = reverse osmosis and deionization

Distilled water can be used in a pinch, but it is typically more expensive than RO. Usually Meijer or Walmart type stores have a RO unit in the store and will provide water for $0.29 / gallon.

The company that installed our softener also installed our RO unit. You will need a food grade barrel to store the water in.

I installed my own RO/DI unit, it was pretty easy, and it came with a 3 gallon tank, but when I do a water change I just have a dedicated to fish only 32 gallon rubbermaid garbage can I put 30 gallons in, and mix the salt right in the barrel. I'm pretty new to this, so maybe someone else has a better idea, but it works good for me.

Oh yeah Carey has a link to a RO/DI unit that you hook up just when u use it, and it was quite a bit cheaper than the one I bought.

Can someone please give a THOROUGH explanation on what todo is and what it costs

Back
Top Bottom