If I use southdown do I have to have a DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(I split this into it's own thread for you so you'll get some more replies)

Using sand for a substrate doesn't force you into a DSB. However it's important to note why folks use a DSB. Nitrates are only removed from your system either through water changes or anerobic bacteria (bacteria that survives in low-no oxygen areas). So if you go with a SSB you'll need some other way of removing Nitrates from your system.

Like Billy stated you can remove nitrates through a good water change schedule, a good skimmer helps a lot too.
You can use macroalgae for nutrient control too. But I would only use it in a sump or fuge. Some of the ones that are best at nutrient control (Caulerpa's) can become problematic in your main tank. You have to really work to keep them trimmed back and are really hard to remove once they become entrenched.

K well see the thing is is that i bought four 50lb bags of south down but i didn't really like the way it looked compared to the caribsea aragonite so i bought 80lbs of the aragonite. But i guess i could just sell the bags to my friend who i recently talked him into changing his 75gl freshwater tank into a saltwater. Just one quick question if you dont mind... if you use the oldcastle sand and dont make it a DSB could you then utilize natures sandsifters? cause i know someone stated in the other thread that once you get a DSB set up you cant have anything stir the sand up.

I have 3-4" of LS in my reef for over 2 years I have SS stars and snails and everything is fine. I have a fuge to help with NO3 export...

Back
Top Bottom