If you had $150 to spend, would you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
get a HOB skimmer or a HOB refugium?? I have space on the back of my 40b for one of them but i dont think i could fit both (ML emperor 400 takes 1/2 the width of the tank).

Yes i know debaiting the two would take us to the end of time BUT which would you pick and why?? :D

I would go with a refugium since every hob skimmer for me hasn't worked well. I moded an ac 110 into a fuge and it has helped a lot with my nitrates.

I'd get the skimmer if i were in the same spot. :) Both are beneficial but I think you'd see the most results if you went with a skimmer. There aren't many in the $150 range though, I spent a little bit more and got a remora hang on which despite some bad reviews on this forum worked really really well on my 55g tank.

I had awful luck with my skimmer being HOB. Once I got my sump set up and moved it over, all my problems with it went away. I have yet to get a fuge up and running, but I personally don't like the idea of having one as HOB. The concept with the fuge utilizes the use of more space to remove nitrates, so more LR, sand, algae, whatever, and of course CO2 removal with more water surface.

Why don't you just both? Get both so your troubles are cleared

He only has 150 bucks is why he cant get both. I would build into it slowly, starting with a sump of you have room and get a skimmer in it followed by a fuge. Since you are focused on hob id assume you have a space issue?

I'd get the skimmer if I didn't have a skimmer already. Though honestly, an insump skimmer would get you more for you buck.

I guess you get what you pay for...

My deltec mce HOB skimmer cost £300 ($450) and I couldn't be happier.

It produces a cupful of rotting gunk every 2 days.

Can't say fairer than that. But $150 may not get you a decent skimmer, so the fuge may be the better option.

There aren't many in the $150 range though,

I was thinking of the reef octopus bh 100 or even the 300 which is about 125 and 165 respectively. Thanks for the tip on the ramora. I will be sure to check it out/read about it

All skimmers have a break in period and need to be dialed in correctly. Some people don't have the patience but it can be done. Out of the 4 skimmers I've had the remora hang on was the easiest, at least to me, to dial in. My eshopps pulls alot and i mean alot of gunk but took forever to get it perfectly adjusted. lol

Just get a decent quality skimmer and you'll be half way there. the cheap ones are just that, cheap, and can take forever to dial in if you even get that lucky.

The octopus skimmers come highly reagarded so I dont think you can go wrong with them. :) They also have a skimmer called the bak pak that is also a decent skimmer.

I use the reef octopus bh 300 and I can honestly say its the best skimmer I've owned. It's very quiet, easy to set and does a fantastic job. I love the dual collection cups, only problem is that it is a little bulky for a HOB.

Hey carey and all other vet members, Can i turn one side of my emperor 400 into a fuge?? have one side running as a filter and ther other runing as a fuge?? just taking out the filter media and replacing it with live sand and cheato

any thoughts?? this way i can technicaly have a filter, mini fuge and skimmer

Back
Top Bottom