Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you had your own LFS...

I am working on a business plan for a lfs that I plan to open in Virginia in the next few years when my husband and I change duty stations. I have been entertaining some ideas, but I am not really sure what I should name it. I have a list of choices, but dont want to release them until I have all the kinks worked out.

Can you guys give me some ideas as well? I would like to know what you would name your dream fish store.

Also if you have any original ideas on what you would want to see in a lfs, please let me know.

I plan to have a virtual store as well as a physical store. It is my intention to offer advice and supplies of the highest quality. Breed livestock and harvet liverock for myself (my husband is a Navy Diver and there are other hard hat divers that plan to be involved in harvesting the liverock).

Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck on you venture. I hope all goes well. As for ideas, have more than one price level of all your equipment. The LFS arouns here all have the same brand and price, no flexibility. You either get their brand at their price or nothing. It sucks!!!

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
just so you know...its illegal to harvest LR in fla without a specail license. You may want to research on this. I know they are very strict with this.
I have been thinking about this too to open a LFS and I was goin to get with liverock.com and set up an account with them
Its still very competive with all the online stuff....
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Fish Store? LoL. . . um,

Fin-atics?

Egads- that's horrid. . . um,

Fish Tails?

Ok, I'll quite while I'm ahead.
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
cJw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suggest try to go as environmentally friendly as you can, grow your own live rock rather than just harvest.
Bulk discounts on items like snails and hermits.

And one to avoid, my pet peeve, display tanks of items not for sale. I don't know how many times I've gone into my OLD LFS and asked about simple items like snails or hermits. Been told their out of stock while their display tank has dozens.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the mission statement we have thus far.

"To provide a local and virtual store for reef hobbyist to gain knowledge, supplies, livestock, and maintance of the highest quality. To dive for and collect live rock and livestock in order to reduce overhead costs and provide quality products for customers at a lower cost to them and to collect specimens in a humane and ecologically friendly way."

On the live rock harvesting thing. If you place your own rock in the water and have a license to do that, it is totally legal to harvest it. I have done tons and tons of research on it. Thanks for the advice though!

EJS4, I totally agree about that pet peeve! I hate display tanks that they wont sell anything out of. Like snails are that hard to replace!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and here is a list of the products we are planning to carry, if all goes as planned.

Live Rock
Live Rock Rubble
Live Sand
Livestock
Aquariums, custom made & standard
Kent Products
Frozen Food
RO/DI Water
Live Feeder Fish
Salt Mix
Base/Dead Rock
Base Sand
Wet/Dry Filters
Refugiums
Lighting systems
Full library of text regarding aquariums, fish, algae and other related topic
Advice Guru, marine biology student preferably
Overnight delivery to most US locations
Internet advice, sells and services
Power heads
Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
are u just goin to be saltwater?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So far, yes. That may change in time. As we are working up the business plan there seems to be a larger and larger need for freshwater, however we have not made the decision yet.

Would you rather see freshwater in your lfs as well?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTY1705
Good luck on you venture. I hope all goes well. As for ideas, have more than one price level of all your equipment. The LFS arouns here all have the same brand and price, no flexibility. You either get their brand at their price or nothing. It sucks!!!
Agreed.

Don't intentionally price some customers out of your shop. Recommend what you like, but stock everything. If my LFS carried nothing but $500 skimmers then I wouldn't be buying from them as it's my opinion that a $50 plastic tube with a PH attached is as good as a $500 plastic tube with a PH attached.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com