Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have VHO or PC and want to see your Corals go crazy:)

I read this on here a while back and finally got talked into it. My corals are open more than I have ever seen them. I went to the Home Depot and got some of that eggcrate stuff for lighting after one of the guys in my fish club explained how much the salt creep on my glass tops was just totally messing up my light spectrum. Well honestly I had my doubts cause I mostly through info I pick up here and in Eric Bornman's book "Corals" have been having (knock on wood) pretty good luck with the corals other than my bubble but I even have him on the rebound now...N E Way It was sunday and the water change was done and I wanted to play around with my tank some more (can you tell it might be time to have kids its Sunday and I have NOTHING to do )so I bought the eggcrate. I used just a pair of sewing scissors to cut it to shape and PRESTO CHANGO!!!! It was great... It was amazing and about a week later it looks even better. It does evaporate a bit quicker but that is good for me as well as I supplement (as I am sure most do) in my top off water. Any way just wanted to share this so if anyone else dosen't have the MH's but wants just a little more POP out of thier corals I would recomend this very much. If I can find any other tricks out there to help us "lowlighters" I will be sure to share those too.

Doan

Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I did not catch the actual procedure you are talking about. Do you have a link or could you explain?

Old 04-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think he is just taking off the glass covering and replacing with eggcrate. I had a similar experience when I ditched my glass covering. Now I do not have anything between my lights and water and corals have really opened up.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ya. Basicly remove the glass top and put eggcrate there instead. Of course the eggcrate would really only be to protect larger fish from jumping to their doom.

This is the very reason I suggest to all new hobbists that have a glass cover that they run their tanks with out the cover.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is exactly what I do. I have been using an egg crate for a top for months! Works great!!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah it's a simple little thing really just ditch the glass cover and go with the eggcrate. I just wanted to share the massive success I have been having this week with that. I have gotten so much helpful info from this site that it is probably singlehandedly responsible for me not having a tank full of dead stuff that when I do find a little trick I like to give back where I can.

Doan
Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Make sure the eggcrate is pointed in the right direction so it doesn't block more light. Thinner side down

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Make sure the eggcrate is pointed in the right direction so it doesn't block more light. Thinner side down
Its thinner on one side?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

It's supposed to be, facin one side down diffuses the light and the other side focuses the light. Flip it over and see if you notice a difference.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok will do

doan

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com