Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
This has been covered before, so for the newbies;

As Chef Ramsey points out, it is cheaper, tastes better and is healthier to make your own foods. This includes fish foods. I have been doing it for a while now and I can tell you it works. No disease, much less fighting and pretty fat fish. My tangs are all very meaty.

Buy nori sheets from a Chinese food store or on Amazon. Used for sushi, it is cheap and they love it. You can even grind some of this up and add to the below;

Make the following, feel free to use alternate ingredients, as long as its seafood. No chicken, or roast beef...

Can of oysters, drain
Some white fish, or salmon even can work, no bones
Some prawns
Some shrimp, cooked or uncooked.
Scallops
Add vitamins and some garlic extract and some RO/DI water

Let sit in refrigerator overnight to absorb the vitamins and garlic.

Then put into food processor, or mince with knife into a mash. Put the mash in some cheese cloth, or clean dish towel and squeeze as much water as you can to make a kind of fish dough. Divide this up into freezer bags and smash into flat sheets before freezing.

The fish will try to kill each other to get to this mixture.
What kind of vitamins do you use?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Vitachem, but there are several brands.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Vitachem, but there are several brands.
Same here. I trust VitaChem. I can't say if it's better than brand X Y or Z but it definitely doesn't suck.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I'll try it. Should be better than store bought.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey greg! Thanks so much for posting this. I was wondering,

How much of each to get an even mix? Just eyeball it?

Where can i buy "vitachem" and how much do i use?

Could i add mysis cubes to the mix?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can make up you're own concoction as long as its primarily sea foods.

The vitachem is available on Amazon.com or at any LFS.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
You can make up you're own concoction as long as its primarily sea foods.

The vitachem is available on Amazon.com or at any LFS.
My fish and I thank you Greg!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Here's a couple of feeding tips I have found...many of you may find this old hat.

I use to feed by thawing my frozen foods, removing the water and dumping it in the tank where it flew everywhere. The fish loved it and the frenzy was fun to watch, but I also saw a lot of food going into cracks and crevices that might or might not be found by the CUC. I had the same problem when feeding flake foods, it would spread all over the surface, then fly all over the tank as it sank. So I now do the following to control food. I don't like to turn off flow during feeding.

With frozen, I leave it frozen and wrap it with a fold of 1/4" square plastic mesh. I then use a magnetic lettuce clip to place it wherever I want the fish to eat. It holds the food together and teaches the fish to come to one spot to get fed. Enough gets scattered so fish that don't come to the feeding station also get fed.

With flake, I built a "feeding ring." It is a 6" circle of 1/2" vinyl tubing that is spliced together with a small section of tubing that will slide into the 1/2" tubing. I tether this to the spot I want with some fishing line. Then you just throw the flakes into the ring, where they stay put. Many fish will hit them on the surface causing a steady rain of sinking flakes for the fish below. Works like a charm and I don't see food wasting.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here's a couple of feeding tips I have found...many of you may find this old hat.

I use to feed by thawing my frozen foods, removing the water and dumping it in the tank where it flew everywhere. The fish loved it and the frenzy was fun to watch, but I also saw a lot of food going into cracks and crevices that might or might not be found by the CUC. I had the same problem when feeding flake foods, it would spread all over the surface, then fly all over the tank as it sank. So I now do the following to control food. I don't like to turn off flow during feeding.

With frozen, I leave it frozen and wrap it with a fold of 1/4" square plastic mesh. I then use a magnetic lettuce clip to place it wherever I want the fish to eat. It holds the food together and teaches the fish to come to one spot to get fed. Enough gets scattered so fish that don't come to the feeding station also get fed.

With flake, I built a "feeding ring." It is a 6" circle of 1/2" vinyl tubing that is spliced together with a small section of tubing that will slide into the 1/2" tubing. I tether this to the spot I want with some fishing line. Then you just throw the flakes into the ring, where they stay put. Many fish will hit them on the surface causing a steady rain of sinking flakes for the fish below. Works like a charm and I don't see food wasting.
Cool ideas! I get the mesh bag with the frozen. I'm not quite getting the ring, though. Its a ring of tubing with another small section inserted to keep it as a ring, right? So are there small openings cut along the ring for the food to come out? Or where does the food come out when the fish come hit it?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

Cool ideas! I get the mesh bag with the frozen. I'm not quite getting the ring, though. Its a ring of tubing with another small section inserted to keep it as a ring, right? So are there small openings cut along the ring for the food to come out? Or where does the food come out when the fish come hit it?
No, the ring just floats like a life preserver. Because it projects below and above the surface it corrals the flake food while it is floating.

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Quick ID plz | Zoa »