If you want fat happy fish, make your own food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote, how small are you chopping this? Also are you using a knife? can you show a picture if you have one? Thanks alot. I want to try to do this very soon.

Just made a batch yesterday. I used canned products this time and most of it came out of the can at the right consistency. Otherwise I chop it into pieces about 1/8" with a knife. Drain everything, i want the mash as dry as I can get it. I used salmon this time for the fish component, why it has a red cast to it. Shrimp, salmon, crab, scallops, vitachem, spiralina flakes and garlic extract. $18 and it should last 6 months. Made 8 of these packages.

Attachments

• image-1466060833.jpg
    image-1466060833.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3658400040.jpg
    image-3658400040.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I exact thought..... Canned Products???? I only used fresh foods and put them through the food processor. Only thing I have not added in the past was Salmon... I thought I read somewhere's that you should not add Salmon just can't remember why are were I read that at.

Well looks like the only fish always available are.. Black Drum, Buffalo Fish, Catfish, garfish, gaspergoo, red fish, salmon, snapper, talapia and tuna. What ones would you reccomend? did you ever use talapia?

I think any white fish is good. My fish love salmon and see no reason not to feed it. And yes, I sometimes used canned. Little nutrition difference and living in Missouri, some canned product is easier sometimes. We are freezing it anyway. The fish have never given me a negative review! I don't use a food processor much as the sizing of the bits is hard to hit with the processor. I tend to get it too fine.

Last edited:
Okay, the last batch of food I used canned salmon. It works fine and no oil slick afterwards, but it breaks up into too small pieces. Will go back to fresh white fish as that seems to hold the food together better.

Okay, the last batch of food I used canned salmon. It works fine and no oil slick afterwards, but it breaks up into too small pieces. Will go back to fresh white fish as that seems to hold the food together better.

What about fresh salmon?

Okay thanks... That is what I thought too but I am thinking I read in this thread or maybe another one that someone was using fresh salmon to mixing in their own fish food.

I did it once and it worked okay, but I have been told it has too much oil in it. Besides, I like eating the salmon. Plain old white fish is good enough for my reef I suspect.

I know this is an old thread but are you still using this recipe. I'm looking for a good recipe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom