IM 30L Nuvo Fusion- Rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EaglesNest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m starting my first SW tank after having a few freshwater tanks for upwards of 10 years or so. I don’t have friends into SW, so I’m counting heavily on you guys to lead me down the right paths, don’t let me down.J
This is what I have purchased thus far after reading a few books but specifically your threads:

Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 30 gallon long (36L x 15W x 13H)
Stand: Innovative Marine Stand for Fusion 30L
Sand: 40lbs of Carib-Sea Arog-Alive (2-20lb bags)

Powerhead: Vortech MP10 ES - Hydor Koralia Nano 425 (for mixing Saltwater)
Heater: Colbalt Neo Therm 100w – Eheim Jagar 75w (for mixing saltwater)
Filtration: All in one unit with 2 media baskets
Equipment: Refractometer, API Saltwater Master Test Kit
Salt: Instant Ocean RO/DI Unit: BRS 4 Stage Value Plus 75GP

Still Needed:
Live Rock (20 ish lbs), Lighting, ATO, Controller, Skimmer and Media Reactor.
This weekend I will purchase the live rock, make my saltwater and get started. Here are my initial questions:
1. Lighting Recommendation: Keeping in mind that this tank is shallow (13 inches high). I need a LED lighting fixture that I can attach to the tank that doesn’t extend more than 4 inches high due to family pictures already on the wall. (Compromise with wife for getting that space to place the tankJ). I plan to start with a few fish then add “beginner”corals (Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Soft Coral). I want to get a fixture that I can use if I venture to more advanced corals later, so, I don’t have to buy new lighting. I’ve seen: AquaticLife EDGE LEDs and 20000K Reef Spectrum-XB. Any good?
2. Skimmer: How long into the cycling can I wait to add a skimmer and your recommendation? I’m leaning toward: IM Ghost Skimmer or Tunze 9002.
3. ?? I think I can wait on the other items…right?

I too switched from fw to sw last year & I have the IM Micro 30

For lighting i have the matching 92w Skkye Light, like it a lot except two things:
1) LED hi power fixtures can be loud(fans)
2) This model is not dimmable

As for the skimmer i went with the new 9001 from Tunze, after a couple of different configurations i got it dialed in! Its also dead quiet. Since you don't have much of a bioload you can hold off on the skimmer till just before stocking.

One important thing that you need to start off with before getting your tank wet is a quality RO/DI unit, trust me its worth it in so many ways!

I also did some other important upgrades that i think are a must imo:
1) InTank media baskets, stock ones are pita, also look at the custom caddy from IM, I have one on my IM Nuvo 8, almost as good & less expensive if you shop around. You can run the stock ones with the supplied sponge media till the cycle is done.
2) if u find a quiet light and you don't want to hear the tank @ all, Sicce 1.5 pump upgrade is worth it. With my dawn/dusk & moonlights only running all i can hear is a bit of water flow from the surface skimmer flowing into the baskets in the back chambers & that can be almost eliminated if you have the water level higher.
3) add a IM spin stream, the extra variable flow is nice & its a cheap add on.
4) media reactor, a must for gfo and or carbon. I have the Two Little Fishes Phosepan 150, works awesome, very inexpensive & if you did the pump upgrade you can either use the stock pump on it or add some extra plumming and tap off of the Sicce.
5) ATO is a must as i go through about 5 gallons of RO/DI per week. I have the Tunze Nano Osmolator, great for the price, comes with the pump with lots of head for the matching stand height and is easy to set up & is not expensive.
6) quality test kits for Nitrate, Phosephate, Alkilinity, Magnesium & Calcium. FW kits like API are not good enough if you plan on having a reef tank.
7) refractometer is needed, not a hydrometer as they are not good enough!

All of these upgrades really don't have to be done till the tank is cycled & your cuc go in so hou have some time to research & purchase a bit at a time.

The rest of your hardware looks great, enjoy the salty side!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I too switched from fw to sw last year & I have the IM Micro 30

For lighting i have the matching 92w Skkye Light, like it a lot except two things:
1) LED hi power fixtures can be loud(fans)
2) This model is not dimmable

As for the skimmer i went with the new 9001 from Tunze, after a couple of different configurations i got it dialed in! Its also dead quiet. Since you don't have much of a bioload you can hold off on the skimmer till just before stocking.

One important thing that you need to start off with before getting your tank wet is a quality RO/DI unit, trust me its worth it in so many ways!

I also did some other important upgrades that i think are a must imo:
1) InTank media baskets, stock ones are pita, also look at the custom caddy from IM, I have one on my IM Nuvo 8, almost as good & less expensive if you shop around. You can run the stock ones with the supplied sponge media till the cycle is done.
2) if u find a quiet light and you don't want to hear the tank @ all, Sicce 1.5 pump upgrade is worth it. With my dawn/dusk & moonlights only running all i can hear is a bit of water flow from the surface skimmer flowing into the baskets in the back chambers & that can be almost eliminated if you have the water level higher.
3) add a IM spin stream, the extra variable flow is nice & its a cheap add on.
4) media reactor, a must for gfo and or carbon. I have the Two Little Fishes Phosepan 150, works awesome, very inexpensive & if you did the pump upgrade you can either use the stock pump on it or add some extra plumming and tap off of the Sicce.
5) ATO is a must as i go through about 5 gallons of RO/DI per week. I have the Tunze Nano Osmolator, great for the price, comes with the pump with lots of head for the matching stand height and is easy to set up & is not expensive.
6) quality test kits for Nitrate, Phosephate, Alkilinity, Magnesium & Calcium. FW kits like API are not good enough if you plan on having a reef tank.
7) refractometer is needed, not a hydrometer as they are not good enough!

All of these upgrades really don't have to be done till the tank is cycled & your cuc go in so hou have some time to research & purchase a bit at a time.

The rest of your hardware looks great, enjoy the salty side!

Thanks for the info! Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals?

I use to use io reef crystals but have recently changed to CoraLife scientific, mixes way faster & for me up here costs a lot less

Anyone have feedback on Innovative Marine's dual strip LED?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the double strip on my 30 gallon JBJ rimless. It is very nice. I like the dim able and I'm doing good with all types of corals

Skkye Light seems to always have decent par figures for growing corals, even SPS but at its price their are other options imo unless you find one at a deal. I have the 92watt tablet, great growth, colors & aesthetics with mine but loud & non dimmable.

This the rockwork I came up with. Feedback please...

Attachments

• 342 (2).jpg
    342 (2).jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 243
Looks good, if you have some basic tools drill some holes for frag as well as a hole for some rods to hold the rock together

Looks great!
I agree w/Drfu. To secure them, Especially your arches.

Are they on the sand or directly on bottom glass?

Zip ties work well too.

Have a side shot?

?

Thanks! Here are the side shots. I left enough room to clean with my magnet. The rocks are sitting on a very thin layer of sand, less then half a inch. Do you see a placement problem for my MP10? Also, I have Bio Spira and a raw shrimp. Is that a good way to go to cycle this tank?

Attachments

• 344.jpg
    344.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 165
Sorry, here are the side shots. Feedback on any possible issues with my MP10 placement and cycling with Bio Spira and a raw shrimp..

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 909
Ok, I finally have light, ATO and good water readings. What's Next....CUC?....Coral?....or Fish? Also, I'm currently running the stock sponge media in both baskets. Are they "Ok" or what should go in both or one of the baskets?

Attachments

• pic with light.jpg
    pic with light.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 227
Looks good to me.
What light did you go with?

I just finished the cycle on a Nuvo 40, I am adding a single fish this weekend as, IMO, there is no food for inverts or corals and fish can tolerate minor swings in a new tank better.

Here is my filtration / chamber set up. Right to left-
1.in tank media racks w/ micro fiber pad, purigen, carbon.
2.IM reactor w/gfo
3.(middle). Float valves, heater, return
4. Skimmer
5.(far left).- i cut 2/3 bottom off of the stock media basket and run micro filter as there was no room for the temp & ph probes. (Reef keeper).

?

Thanks! I went with the current orbit LEDs because I'm a novice and it was plug n play with timer and presets. I'm planning on buying beginner corals and my tank is only 10 inches from water line to sand. Hope it's enough light, if not, I'll go with a razor or radion.

Back
Top Bottom