Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rocket81
Im a newbie with questions (big surprise huh)

Ok, so for the last 8 hours I've done nothin but read data online from this site and a few others on the things you need to know when setting up. I'm goin with a 55 gallon tank, and a FOWLR setup. So I plan on gettin a couple LR, adding sand, and enough of the other rocks to equal up to about 50 lbs or so.
My main question is on water changes. After about the first month or so when all the levels get to where they need to be how do you go about a water change. Do you need to heat it to the same temp. as your tank, etc.
Any advice you guys wanna give would be great since you are experienced with this and well, i'm not. Thanks for anything

Old 10-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

New SW sould be as close as possible the same salinity and temp. Mix new water for 24 hours before using it.
Keep doing your homework and you will save yourself time money and headaches in the end.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to say yes as well ... although some will tell you that temp. is not as important so long as the water is not freezing or boiling! I don't run a heater in either of my tanks and my temps are always steady at 79-80deg. When I do water changes if the new water is that far off I throw in a little 50w heater for a few and BAM change it out!

Salinity on the other hand is VERY important ... if you want to maintain your SG level then make sure the water you are putting in has the same level as that you are taking out.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz79
When I do water changes if the new water is that far off I throw in a little 50w heater for a few and BAM change it out!
I was curious about using a heater which I have done in the past. Currently for the last couple of months I take about 4 to 8 cups of the mixed water and boil it then add to the mix and stir till I get the right temp to match my tank. Does boiling and adding hurt the mix for any reason?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Make sure the pot doesn't contain copper. That can hurt your inverts.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Does boiling and adding hurt the mix for any reason?

I am not 100% sure, but I have the smallest urge to say yes the hot boiling water may change the chemical makeup of the salt mixture ... like I said I'm not a 100%. Let's see what one of the advisors has to say about this!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a 55 dallon and i mix in 5 gallon buckets. after mixing for a day the temp is usually around 80 due to the heat my maxi-jet puts off. not that much work for me.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you boil the SW??????? The salt mix dissolves pretty fast if your using a PH to mix it...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rocket81
thanks alot guys, im starting to understand it more and more. I'm gonna try and go to like petsmart or somethin on monday to look around some, and see what info I can get from them. Then the task of savin up more money since its gonna cost a little more than i thought to get started, but I do have that month of the cycling period to save also.
Any other advice you can give would be great, expect to here from me often.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Rocket and welcome to AA! You have found one of the best sites on the web for aquarium advice! I have been reading for about a year now, and I am getting ready to set up my first SW tank. My advice to you is this: read, read and read some more. You may also want to get a notebook to jot down things you want to remember later on. Also, some good books to have are: The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner. Both are excellent resources. Good luck!

2½g FW - son's goldfish
110g SW
Macmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com