Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm at the end...Cyano

Cyano is beating me. It is slowing killing my tank. According to my ability to measure water quality, I've improved my measures to the finest they've ever been.

I feed only a little bit of food every 2 days. Besides, there's no phosphate or nitrate detectable that might point to overfeeding. All water is RO/DI. I do weekly clean up including water change. I grow a little macro algae and harvest a little bit each week.

I changed my MH. More light = more cyano.

After months of fighting (I'm pretty patient), I tried Boyd's chemi-clean, but it has had no impact and I'm afraid to try again for fear of totally crashing the system. (Anyone with personal experience with this product?)

I have read everything there is to read about cyano control/prevention and have been doing everything suggested...for months...and it has just slowly spread to the point that it is beginning to choke out a few soft corals.

I don't even know why I'm writing this because I'm certain no one is going to tell me anything that I haven't read a thousand times already...I'm putting 5 or 6 hours a week into battling cyano and I can't take it anymore.

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My friend had a setup similar to yours and had bad cyano. He switched to an Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer and it really did help out...That coupled with increased water flow to the areas (he had a problem on the sand only) really ended it.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with it, but I know what you mean. We all pretty much have problems w/it at some point.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After writing the above, I went and vacuumed the *&^! out of my DSB. I'm sure there are a lot of very upset sand critters, but desperate times....

While I have been skimming the cyano off the sand, and taking a bit of sand with it...I have NOT been deeply vacuuming the sand bed (until now).

I guess we'll see.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Old 05-19-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck Brad I know that can be a huge pain in te a@@
Old 05-19-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i had a bad case of it last year and phosban creaned it up in a 2 or 3 day period this year i have it in 2 out of 3 tanks and cant kick it the only tank with no skimmer is clean go figure wich makes be believe its a overfeeding problem but cut back feedings arenot helpin either i had a bottle of red slime remover i resorted to just to get it cut down to a managable state but im to scared to use enough to work its only on my sand in high flow areas

dam sound like im goin cyno crazy too

if i knew how to post a pic we could have a cyno battle and see who has it worse
Old 05-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brad,

Get some Chemi clean, While I don;t normally recommend chemicals I used this in my 150 that the whole bottom was nasty with redish black cyno, I only treated once and it cleared it up. I still haven't found the cause for it myself and it's been 3 weeks and it hasn't come back.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After giving the sand bed a good vaccuum, the cyano returned stronger in 24 hours...stronger than before. Maybe that is a clue.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curious, how old is the tank? What salt mix do you use? I've noticed many people w/ cyano issues lately I have a bit of a problem now w/ cyano, never did for the first 1.5 years...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
steve-s

What is your main food source? Brand/type? I also see no mention of a skimmer?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I get a little cyano every now and again. I have a sand sifting star that keeps the sand turned over though. As for growth anywhere else, it was mentioned on a post here some time ago that cyano is related to silicates. You mentioned the use of RO/DI..when was the last time you actually replaced the membrane and DI filter? The DI filter is only good for roughly 6 moths tops. Most likely less if you've run a lot of water through it. If you are at wits end it may be wise to look under rocks and see if you have something dead somewhere in the system though I would really expect to see po3/po4 issues with something dead in the tank. I will say that couple folks have reported excellent results with the Two Little Fishes PhosBan reactor. I have had mine installed (properly) for about 4 days. po4 is 0. I do not have a silicate test kit so I cannot vouch that it would indeed help you *if* you are experiencing some type of Si problem. However, if your about to lose the system, a $35 reactor and a 90G / hr pump seems like a small 'last ditch' expense..

Best of luck to you.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com